Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Source Components

Source Components Discuss topics about any kind of audio player. CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Blu-ray, HD DVD and beyond.

Old 11-09-2007   #1

Default Linn Klimax DS

Anybody tried it?
Comments?

I'm gonna bet my dedicated HTPC + Bel Canto S300iu will match it for 1/4 of the money.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #2

Default Re: Linn Klimax DS

I haven't heard really ANYTHING from Linn since Brian Morris left the company to found his "House of Linn" retailer in the UK.

I miss them as Linn made some of the BEST sounding gear out there. They have some strong support with a handful of the best dealers but with new players like Halcro nipping at their heels - its important to have a strong message to the world of audio enthusiasts
Old 12-22-2007   #3

I was a long time Linn fan, and up until a few years ago had a fully active AV 51 system. Linn's new stuff has gotten so much more expensive now though and to me they have priced themselves out of the market. The new system to replace the AV 51 needs five channels of amplification for each speaker plus the active cards, it's ridiculous!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #4

When you get like that, its like they want to be known as exclusive, to a select clientele. We`ll see what their marketing strategy is for this "House of Linn" Initially it seemed like something the high end desperately needs.
But, not if the price is in the clouds.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I was a long time Linn fan, and up until a few years ago had a fully active AV 51 system. Linn's new stuff has gotten so much more expensive now though and to me they have priced themselves out of the market. The new system to replace the AV 51 needs five channels of amplification for each speaker plus the active cards, it's ridiculous!
I agree. And moreover the amplification for the AV series wasnt on pair with the quality of the source and the speakers (expecially the bookshelves, the 5140/5120 and the Espeks). You basically needed to go active to make them sound like they should.
A passive amplification (eventually bi-amp) of better quality and lesser price can make a linn system sound better than the original complete systems.

Current offering is good only in the mid-up range but unfortunately priced too high to appeal new customers and old ones (like me) as well: 5k€ for the 2-channel amplifier and 9k€ for a pair of Akurate towers is really too much, for they offer just a bit better sound than a pair of Espeks powered by an integrated such as an old Classé CAP-100 or 150/151 or a new Bel Canto s300i.

BTW, the Klimax DS should be listened.
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #6

You are right Telstar, the AV51 system really did shine active! That is why I went to active 5140's x4 and a 5120 active center, mated with the 5150 sub.

Great system, but it was such a PITA to make changes to, and frankly impossible to swap pout amps etc....

My old rig is currently in a vintner in Sonoma's home enjoying regular use!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
akurate, audio, ds, espeks, forum, klimax, klimaxds, linn, miss, newyork, price, prices, revolution, system, video