Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show us your System (http://www.avrev.com/forum/show-us-your-system-41/)
-   -   What's you dream system? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/show-us-your-system/367-whats-you-dream-system.html)

kennyt 08-02-2007 06:36 AM

What's you dream system?

I get asked this alot as everyone knows I'm sort of pathologically into this hobby... So here are some of mine......

My first and foremost a reference HT rig:

Meridian 861/800
Mark Levinson ML 436 (five)
Revel Ultima Salon/Voice/Studio (studio for surrounds) (waiting on there new sub)
EMM Labs CDSD SE/DAC6eSE (for SACD playback)
Toshiba HD XA2
Sony BDP-S1
Runco Projector
Runco XP-65 DHD 1080p plasma for daytime viewing
All wired in Transparent Opus IC and speaker wire
All run on separate dedicated lines with an isolated star ground, only wish this met code where I currently live!

OK, that one is nice, but I also would like a little office system.... That would go to Chord, the makers of the coolest looking components I've ever seen and some amazing sound too. For the office system, I'd want the full Choral rig;

Blu transport
DAC 64
Prima preamp
two of the Mezzo 140's, bridged for mono operation
The Aspire stand of course! All in brushed aluminum.
Speakers; Tetra 305's

I have a two channel rig I'd put together too, but until I actually get my retirement (win the lottery) I won't see it.

If cost was no object, what would you do??

Z Man 09-19-2007 11:17 AM

Re: What's you dream system?

Here's some of what I would love to own.

Boulder 2010 Preamplifier W/Boulder 2000 Triple Power Supply
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...aight20874.jpg

Boulder 2050 monoblock amp
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d.../2050front.jpg

Gryphon Poseidon
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...donspeaker.jpg

Goldmund Eidos Reference
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...ef_main_up.jpg

kennyt 09-19-2007 11:36 AM

I hear you on the Boulder stuff!

It is super high priced, but sounds great! I had never seen the Gryphon Posiedon's before, and the Golman SACD player's a nice touch!

Z Man 09-20-2007 01:40 AM

Check out this guys "cost no object" dream system become reality.

http://www.hifi-forumi.com/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0

kennyt 09-20-2007 12:12 PM

I have seen the first set on line before and think they are about the ugliest speaker in the world!

Now the Avante Garde Trio's in the next setup... amoungst the coolest!

Z Man 09-20-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3229)
I have seen the first set on line before and think they are about the ugliest speaker in the world!

Now the Avante Garde Trio's in the next setup... amoungst the coolest!

Yes I do have to agree with you, those really large ones in the first set of photos is pretty darn ugly, but I wonder how they sound? Anyone investing that much money one a stereo setup had to of bought something that at least sound good. I wonder how much that whole setup cost?

Yes, those Avant Garde Trio's are definitely way cool.

Seth

kennyt 09-20-2007 02:09 PM

I seem to remember those ugly monstyers were soemthing like $250K a pair.

A friend of mine has the Trio compacts with a pair of basshorns in green, super cool loooking but they are HUGE and extremely sensitive to the subtlest positioning or tweak and opf course super revealing of anything flawed upstream.

Z Man 09-20-2007 02:46 PM

Now this would be my dream speaker system for a dedicated home theater room. I've read that these are some of the best sounding speakers for home theater use available.

CAT MBX
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...ear/CATMBX.jpg

kennyt 09-20-2007 03:23 PM

They better have grills as they look kind of overpowering even for a tech geek like me!

Z Man 09-20-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3275)
They better have grills as they look kind of overpowering even for a tech geek like me!

Yes they come with grills.:)

kennyt 09-20-2007 03:38 PM

... figured they did but...

Z Man 09-20-2007 06:28 PM

And this for my Turntable.:D

Clearaudio Statement
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...0turntable.jpg

Silver Supra 09-20-2007 06:36 PM

I am easy to please...

Aerial 20T's
Boulder 2050 amps (summertime)
ARC Ref 610T amps (for winter use and room heating)
ARC Ref 3 pre
ARC CD-7 for Redbook
EMM for SACD

Z Man 09-20-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 3293)
I am easy to please...

Aerial 20T's
Boulder 2050 amps (summertime)
ARC Ref 610T amps (for winter use and room heating)
ARC Ref 3 pre
ARC CD-7 for Redbook
EMM for SACD

Cool! Some great choices there.;)

Z Man 09-20-2007 07:22 PM

And for my dream projector:

Runco's Signature Cinema SC-1 front projector with Autoscope lens system and Cinewide.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d.../RuncoSC-1.jpg

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 11:00 PM

I can go on record to say I have seen the Runco SC1 a number of times.

It is nothing SHORT OF CRAZY GOOD....

Forget what most companies say for "contrast" THIS is the real DEAL. Sam should be proud!!!

JerryDelColliano 09-20-2007 11:02 PM

PS: Sam and Mark Ormiston's Kid will be taking a BEATING from Eric Ward (Definiive Audio) Me (AVRev.com) and Todd Westra (Lava Corp) in the Runco Mexico Golf Tournement this spring....

The adults will some day rule supreme. I belive that day is in late march 2008.

kennyt 09-26-2007 06:19 PM

I hear you! The SC-1 is truly off the charts good, if I had the cash it would be in m,y home with the watches I want...

Good luck in this years tournie Jerry!

JerryDelColliano 11-18-2007 05:33 PM

I have seen the SC1 from Runco at the Stewart Filmscreen studios in Torrance, CA during my ISF training (I am a dropout BTW - but did learn a lot). It was REALLY good and EVEN more bright.

I have seen the SC1 setup in Cabo during the Runco trip as well as at the Stewart booth at CEDIA on their automasking screen. There was TOO much ambient light to judge the projector at CEDIA that time but the screen was cool.

Robinson_A 11-18-2007 06:49 PM

Already owned my dream system. Sold it (dumb move) for a woman...

Martin Logan CLS IIz
Paradigm Servo Sub
McIntosh Mono's
Decware CSP (tube pre-amp)
Mapleshade cable
NAD BEE CD player (for fun)
Linn Ikemi CD player (for business)

Lotus 11-19-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 6404)
Already owned my dream system. Sold it (dumb move) for a woman...

Martin Logan CLS IIz
Paradigm Servo Sub
McIntosh Mono's
Decware CSP (tube pre-amp)
Mapleshade cable
NAD BEE CD player (for fun)
Linn Ikemi CD player (for business)

Maybe you can start a new dream with the new CLX speakers from ML.

Man I hope they live up to the name...

JerryDelColliano 11-19-2007 01:40 PM

What Andrew forgot to mention about the woman is that when they broke up (when she turned 30) that she has since gained 25 pounds, smokes all day and has the wrinkles to prove it and Andrew's reference system is better than ever.

Its good to be King - ask Andrew.

Also NEVER sell your speakers because of a woman.

j

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Man (Post 3193)
Check out this guys "cost no object" dream system become reality.

http://www.hifi-forumi.com/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0

I don`t even have words for this!! Unbelieveable. kennyt, Dr. Source, what do you think of this??!!

And by the way, when do I get to come and hear your fabulous system. Monster system sir!!!

Congrats, Got nothing but love for ya!

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3279)
... figured they did but...

Yes, definitely, they need to be covered. Another of those high end things, look really bad, sound great. Every amp should be cool looking like the Mcintosh amps. Cool Blue VU Meters!!!

kennyt 11-19-2007 02:16 PM

greg,

I've seen this guys system on several sites. His main rig is unquestionable the butt ugliest system in the world! His secondary system with the Avant Garde Trios is pretty cool, I always thought that one one of the best looking speakers made.

As for my rig, any time you are in the Tampa area, drop me a line and come by!

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:17 PM

I`ve read excellent reviews on the Aerial 20Ts. kennyt or Jerry, and experience with them?

kennyt 11-19-2007 02:23 PM

None, they look awesome.

Silver supra runs the 10T's and is in love with them.

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 6456)
greg,

I've seen this guys system on several sites. His main rig is unquestionable the butt ugliest system in the world! His secondary system with the Avant Garde Trios is pretty cool, I always thought that one one of the best looking speakers made.

As for my rig, any time you are in the Tampa area, drop me a line and come by!

That is cool. If I take this training class for ISF cerrtification, I`ll look you up. For that class is in Florida. I must find out where.
Yes, the Avant Garde trios do look cool in a weird way. I thought maybe they were at HE2007? I`m not sure. I looked in a room quickly, and thought I saw some speaker, that looked like them. But I was on my way out, and did not stay.

Yes, those speakers are not good on the eyes, his wife must have her own system somewhere else in the house. Also, very big. They must sound great, HOPEFULLY!!!

deacongreg 11-19-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 6460)
None, they look awesome.

Silver supra runs the 10T's and is in love with them.

Cool. How are you finally know enjoying your SONY PS3? Are you pleased that you made the purchase?

kennyt 11-19-2007 03:45 PM

It's not a great Blu-ray player, but the games are sick, and 5.1 surround for games? Too cool! All in all, yes, I am glad i bought it, now when GTA IV comes out, super glad!

Silver Supra 11-19-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 6457)
I`ve read excellent reviews on the Aerial 20Ts. kennyt or Jerry, and experience with them?

20T's are simply amazing IMO, and one day a pair WILL be in my system. They are by far my favorite speaker (in and out of it's price-range).

I love my 10T's, and they get better with every improvement I make to my system -
but the 20's are a quantum leap up from them.

Not long ago I called Aerial with a few questions about my 10T's and to my surprise none other than Mr. Kelly himself answered the phone. We chatted for probably half an hour about the 10T's, the 20T's and both of our alma maters - North Carolina State University.

I apologized for taking up so much of his time - but he would hear none of it - telling me how much he enjoyed his trip down memory lane.

It's easy to patronize companies made of genuinely nice people who make fantastic products. Steve McCormack also comes to mind.

kennyt 11-20-2007 03:43 AM

Things like that tend to stick in your mind and enhance the pleasure of owning the companies gear as you always feel good about it! Glad to hear your still liking the Aerials Jim!

deacongreg 11-20-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 6469)
It's not a great Blu-ray player, but the games are sick, and 5.1 surround for games? Too cool! All in all, yes, I am glad i bought it, now when GTA IV comes out, super glad!

Alright, that is good. So, Imagine you will still use your other Blu_Ray players as your reference playback devices. It seems, that most people on our forum are pleased with the PS3`s playback performance. But, I`m sure they have no other players to compare it with.

deacongreg 11-20-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Supra (Post 6477)
20T's are simply amazing IMO, and one day a pair WILL be in my system. They are by far my favorite speaker (in and out of it's price-range).

I love my 10T's, and they get better with every improvement I make to my system -
but the 20's are a quantum leap up from them.

Not long ago I called Aerial with a few questions about my 10T's and to my surprise none other than Mr. Kelly himself answered the phone. We chatted for probably half an hour about the 10T's, the 20T's and both of our alma maters - North Carolina State University.

I apologized for taking up so much of his time - but he would hear none of it - telling me how much he enjoyed his trip down memory lane.

It's easy to patronize companies made of genuinely nice people who make fantastic products. Steve McCormack also comes to mind.

I hear you. But, that is great that he did take the time to have that conversation with you. Business, should be more like that, in my opinion, when time permits. There is still something to be said about true customer service. People WILL pay a little more for a product or service, if they are treated corrected. I think that has been forgotten today.

Great to hear about the Aerials. One day I hope to get a demo.

Dave Moritz 11-25-2007 02:01 PM

My Dream System:

McIntosh MX-136 Preamp/Processor
McIntosh MC-1201 Mono Block Amplifiers (8)
McIntosh MDA-1000 D/A Converter
McIntosh MCD201 CD/SACD Player
Meridian Reference Series 800 DVD Player
JBL K2-S9800 K2 Series Loudspeaker (9)
Custom Built JBL Pro Series 18" Subwoofers (2)
Denon DVD-3800BDCI DVD/Blu-ray Player
Faroudja Scaler
Runco Signature Cinema SC-1 1080p Projector
Stewart Film Screen 200" Screen
Meridian HD-DVD (If Meridian actually ends up offering one ?)
Crestron HT Control System
Monster Power Conditioner (9)
Audio Quest Cables
3 rows of home theater seating

Custom room that looks like the Grauman Chinese Theater in Hollywood

kennyt 11-25-2007 03:42 PM

Dave,

A friend of mine had the 136 pre/pro, his was really glitchy, hopefully they resolved that issue. I am still trying to figure out how you are running 9 speakers with 8 channels of amplification but the rest is pretty sweet. I would swap out the Meridian 861 for the Mc 136 but that is my choice!

As for the projector, you just can't beat the SC-1! If I win the lottery, I'm ordering one the same day!

Dave Moritz 11-25-2007 04:49 PM

Hello Kenny T

My dream set up would use 7 mono blocks for front channels and rear channels. The side surrounds would have 1 pair of speakers on each side of the room. Thats how I got the 9 speaker configuration. And then dual 18" pro JBL subwoofers to make sure the bass is the equivalent of the Death Star, LMAO. I have owned a McIntosh MX-130 in the past and I loved it. My HT got down graded after I got married, but now I am trying to build it back up now. And I figured that the McInosh 1200 watt rms mono blocks should be able to reproduce any frequency at any volume down to .1 ohms.

I wish I had that system or something close to it with a 200" screen. I would be in HT heaven.

deacongreg 11-25-2007 06:31 PM

Real nice Dave, real nice!! Mcintosh happens to be one of my favorite amplifiers. I hope to soon be an owner one day.

wes 03-26-2008 10:04 PM

One day after the kids have graduated from college.

Speakers 7 B&W NAUTILUS (40K a pair)

Processor: Classe SSP-900

Amplifiers: 24 Classe CA400 mono (Each speaker require 4 amplifiers)

Blu Ray: Classe is working on one

Projector: Runco 3 chip DLP

Screen: Stewart Film Screen cinecurve 12 feet wide

Panamorph: 2:35

i30krab 03-27-2008 09:12 AM

Now this is my dream system!

Anyone want to dispute this?