Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Show us your System

Show us your System Start a new thread to show us and the world your home theater. Post photos, line listings of your gear and tell us all about your rig.

Old 04-26-2009   #127
Administrator

Default Re: What's you dream system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevign View Post
rbinck:

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I read the article and it's a good one, BUT......$2,495.00???? Even in a better economy I couldn't afford something like that, the one "I" mentioned is pushing it already. My question stands:

Do you or others here have any of these products around the same price that produce better sound quality when listening to music and better picture quality when watching TV that you can actually here and see?

With the understanding of the "law of diminishing returns " in mind, I asked my stereo guy will I audibly be able to hear a difference without having to set in a dark room late at night with total concentration while listening to a cd? lolol..... his answer was yes. I do understand the need for protection, but still......

STEVIGN: Lover of Jazz and Blues.
Personally, I use a UPS. If you get one that outputs a sign wave they are designed for A/V use. The link I referenced in that thread discussed the various type of UPS units available: Power Conditioners vs. UPS
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009   #128

Personally, I don't understand the use of a UPS for a stereo and/or AV setup. When a power failure years ago could corrupt a computer disk, it almost made sense. Still IMO, it was a 1/100 chance. Yes, I do believe with the cost of some systems that are close to 6 digits ($100k) or more a unit telling me about under voltage maybe helpful. But I don't know of any Mark Levinson, Krell, etc company that sells amps SUGGEST you plugging one of their monsters into a UPS. I actually think Krell tells you NOT to. Thus, IMO maybe a Furman telling you about voltage and not pluging in a amp (maybe minimal stuff) and getting in a electrical person to install a dedicated electrical line with a decent ground would give you 10x of any performance increase could give you than with a UPS.
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009   #129

Since my wife prefers Martin Logan above all else, 7 CLX's with appropriate ampage and you pick the source (must include DVD-Audio).
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #130

Thumbs up Re: What's you dream system?

Pass x350 Amp
AR LS26 Pre-amp
Totem Forest speakers
Esoteric DV-60
Thorens TD 350 Turntable
Sutherland PH-3D Phono Preamp
Spatializer HTMS - 2510
Bklynbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #131
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Erblich View Post
Personally, I don't understand the use of a UPS for a stereo and/or AV setup. When a power failure years ago could corrupt a computer disk, it almost made sense. Still IMO, it was a 1/100 chance. Yes, I do believe with the cost of some systems that are close to 6 digits ($100k) or more a unit telling me about under voltage maybe helpful. But I don't know of any Mark Levinson, Krell, etc company that sells amps SUGGEST you plugging one of their monsters into a UPS. I actually think Krell tells you NOT to. Thus, IMO maybe a Furman telling you about voltage and not pluging in a amp (maybe minimal stuff) and getting in a electrical person to install a dedicated electrical line with a decent ground would give you 10x of any performance increase could give you than with a UPS.
Speaking of power amps, I agree with you. Most UPS units will not have enough power ratings for that class of audio amps. I use the surge outlets for amps. HDTVs and DVRs is another matter, the V part of A/V. Projectors and DLP HDTVs that have high wattage lamps can benefit from a UPS to allow the cool down fan to continue to run. DVRs and satellite receivers benefit due to the boot time required for these units. A power blip can mean you don't watch TV for quite a while during the re-boot period.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #132

Well mine would be four Martin Logan clxs with Logan center and two Logan subs and
five Pass Lass x300
CAT pre
Lexicon digital processor preamp
Basis turntable
Ayre Universal player or meridain 800
Sequerra tuner
danwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
53, amplifier, amps, bw, cls, ct800, decware, electra, equipment, joule, levinson, list, logan, martin, n, power, speaker, theater