Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show us your System (http://www.avrev.com/forum/show-us-your-system-41/)
-   -   My $650k house is now going to be an $850k home (http://www.avrev.com/forum/show-us-your-system/1145-my-650k-house-now-going-850k-home.html)

Lotus 11-27-2007 08:15 AM

My $650k house is now going to be an $850k home

I'm custom building my own home, and getting loan approval on different stages hasn't been as easy as I would have liked.

However this morning I got approved for the Runco SC-1 to be rolled into the note.

I'm extremely happy.

This means my screen size will be 240" and Runco swears that it will look amazing even as a 20 foot screen. They start framing next week and it looks like I may be in my house by March.

I'll have pictures proudly up at the time.

kennyt 11-27-2007 09:58 AM

Re: My $650k house is now going to be an $850k home

OK, let me share some advice when building a house...

1) It will cost at least 30% more than you expect.
2) It will take up to twice as long as you expect.

If you accept #1 and #1 above, congrats! The SC-1 is sick good!

What does the rest of the HT consist of? Speakers, amps, pre/pro....

Lotus 11-27-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 6785)
OK, let me share some advice when building a house...

1) It will cost at least 30% more than you expect.
2) It will take up to twice as long as you expect.

If you accept #1 and #1 above, congrats! The SC-1 is sick good!

What does the rest of the HT consist of? Speakers, amps, pre/pro....

Well the home builder is my cousin, and he builds 6 to 10 custom homes a year. So I'm rather sure it won't cost more than I expect.

I know I'm going with Martin Logan Summits as the main and their big center. My subs will be the top of the line ML subs too. For sides I'm thinking ML Scripts or similar. Although a friend suggested going with inexpensive Magnepans for the sides/rears and seems to think the synergy will still be there. That would allow me to put the money saved into the Processor/Amps.

I was budgeted for a Theta Casablanca but I may upgrade to a Meridian unit as I'm told CES will show some HDMI units.

Amps... I'm likely going to go with McIntosh.

I started thinking I'd go Arcam the whole way, but I've slowly started to lean in other directions. I've really got to test the synergy of ML, Meridian, and McIntosh. I know Logans and Macs get along, but not sure how the Meridian Processor would fit in the picture.

All wiring is to be done by Robert Lee's Acoustic Zen lines. Power conditioning will be IsoTek.

I need to find out how much Bob Hodas costs because I might bring him in to help with room acoustics.

Robinson_A 11-27-2007 01:18 PM

I wouldn't go Maggies for the sides and rears, for the wall mounted MMG's are a bit of a hassle and won't look as good as your ML's. They are good for the money but I would use ML's inwalls for the rears and sides.

Meridian is good. McIntosh is very solid and lends a bit of richness to the ML's but I would seriously look into Bel Canto. You could Mono block every channel for the price of one McIntosh amp by going Bel Canto. If your space is large (sounds like it will be) I would feed the ML's 1000 watts per channel. The Meridian/Bel Canto matchup is AWESOME!!!!

Don't forget Krell. They have a grip of new processors coming early '08.

You may have to double up on the center channel for a screen that size...

kennyt 11-27-2007 03:16 PM

I'm with Andrew on the speakers, keep it all in the same company. Close timber match is just that, CLOSE! I take it to the next level and believe in using the same amps for all channels (an axiom I am currently slightly breaking) as that can affect transitions as well, even when using different lines within a manufacturer.

Hell, you bought the SC-1, don't skimp elsewhere and do it half...... well, you know where I'm going. I for one LOVE my Meridian 861, nothing i have found does as well, especially when paired with a Meridian player! Theta is really nice too, not quite as smooth as the Meridian gear to my ears, but very accurate.

Lotus 11-27-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 6795)
I wouldn't go Maggies for the sides and rears, for the wall mounted MMG's are a bit of a hassle and won't look as good as your ML's. They are good for the money but I would use ML's inwalls for the rears and sides.

Meridian is good. McIntosh is very solid and lends a bit of richness to the ML's but I would seriously look into Bel Canto. You could Mono block every channel for the price of one McIntosh amp by going Bel Canto. If your space is large (sounds like it will be) I would feed the ML's 1000 watts per channel. The Meridian/Bel Canto matchup is AWESOME!!!!

Don't forget Krell. They have a grip of new processors coming early '08.

You may have to double up on the center channel for a screen that size...

Good point the eVo1 was an excellent synergetic match for MLs. I may have to go audition the new Bel Canto mono amps. Yes I would have enough room, and it seems like a great idea.

I hadn't thought of the ML in-walls. They use a magnetic tweeter...

I think I'll stick with ML Script or possibly the new Source.