Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Welcome to AVRev.com's Forum > Show us your System

Show us your System Start a new thread to show us and the world your home theater. Post photos, line listings of your gear and tell us all about your rig.

Old 01-19-2008   #13

Default Your 650K house is going to cost you $1,300,000

Lotus,

Congrats on the new project. It sounds like a dream come true.

I did a similar project with my house and I can tell you Ken's 30% estimate is a JOKE in terms of being low. I guessed 50% and I was low. Estimate 60% to 75% over budget and make sure you are bankrolled for it even if it requires a line from the bank. If you don't use it and I am off - no worries. Come up short and take it from me - there is PLENTY to worry about!!!

I have seen the Runco SC1 MANY MANY times and it is one of the best, brightest most killer projectors you could ever want to own. I have seen it in Mexico, at ISF training at Stewart Filmscreen, at trade shows many times and beyond. It has the power to do your large screen with ease which is no small feat.

As for Hodas - contact him (or me directly) and I will get you set up with him to help you build your room. I have used Bob forever and he is about the greatest guy. When you can start from scratch with him its the best. Room dims, treatment placements, speaker placements, seating etc.... You will NEVER regret bringing Bob into the project. The final audio tuning will blow your mind. Be sure to use enough woofers as he will make it rock so hard, to transparently and so LOUD you will fall over dead!!!!

In terms of electronics - there is a GOOD reason why Ken, Andrew and I all use Meridian. Great stuff. Liquid sounding audio, very versatile. Also look at Classe (what I am now using as of this week) as well as the new Mark Levinson No. 502 which will compete with the Meridian 861
Old 01-19-2008   #14

Default Re: Your 650K house is going to cost you $1,300,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I did a similar project with my house and I can tell you Ken's 30% estimate is a JOKE in terms of being low. I guessed 50% and I was low. Estimate 60% to 75% over budget and make sure you are bankrolled for it even if it requires a line from the bank. If you don't use it and I am off - no worries. Come up short and take it from me - there is PLENTY to worry about!!!
The biggest thing to drive the change of an estimate is a Change of Order Form. I'm doing very little of that. I had a really good idea on what I wanted. The Builder is family so I'm not worried about him underestimating or anything plus he has a rock solid reputation anyway.

Quote:
I have seen the Runco SC1 MANY MANY times and it is one of the best, brightest most killer projectors you could ever want to own. I have seen it in Mexico, at ISF training at Stewart Filmscreen, at trade shows many times and beyond. It has the power to do your large screen with ease which is no small feat.
It's allowing me a two story screening room. Which is really cool. The 2nd story has a mini-kitchen and a row of seats too. I'm really happy with the decision and it has raised my budget a little more but it's worth it.

Quote:
As for Hodas - contact him (or me directly) and I will get you set up with him to help you build your room. I have used Bob forever and he is about the greatest guy. When you can start from scratch with him its the best. Room dims, treatment placements, speaker placements, seating etc.... You will NEVER regret bringing Bob into the project. The final audio tuning will blow your mind. Be sure to use enough woofers as he will make it rock so hard, to transparently and so LOUD you will fall over dead!!!!
I'll do that in the next week or so.

Quote:
In terms of electronics - there is a GOOD reason why Ken, Andrew and I all use Meridian. Great stuff. Liquid sounding audio, very versatile. Also look at Classe (what I am now using as of this week) as well as the new Mark Levinson No. 502 which will compete with the Meridian 861
I'm going with Arcam's PV9 or whatever it's called until Meridian has a HDMI unit for me to use. The Arcam unit has HDMI switching for video (four in, two out I believe). Plus I hear its analog section is really nice. It should hold me over rather nicely until Meridian has a unit I want. I will use the internal decoding of the BD player until I can get that Meridian.

I can wait a year or two for that Meridian unit if need be.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #15

Default Re: My $650k house is now going to be an $850k home

I assume you mean the FMJ AV9?

A nice unit but not able to be upgraded.... FWIW Meridian does make and external HDMI switcher but I suspect you know that.

Lotus,

Don't forget about treating your power and running more dedicated lines than you could dream of ever using! Much cheaper to do it prior than later...

I thought of this as my system is on battery right now (completely disconnected from main line) during a major lightning storm......
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I assume you mean the FMJ AV9?

A nice unit but not able to be upgraded.... FWIW Meridian does make and external HDMI switcher but I suspect you know that.

Lotus,

Don't forget about treating your power and running more dedicated lines than you could dream of ever using! Much cheaper to do it prior than later...

I thought of this as my system is on battery right now (completely disconnected from main line) during a major lightning storm......
That's likely it. The FMJ is a good unit to save with and they do offer an upgrade path (not that I plan on taking it).

I will buy the Meridian 861 replacement as soon as it comes out.

The electricity is being done with everything having its own dedicated power. A little overboard maybe but I don't think so.

As for treating my power... I was thinking IsoTek.
Old 01-19-2008   #17

I ran dedicated lines for everything as well, then fell in love with a PurePower audiophile APS system, it's bad a$$ to have battery backup for lighting storms.

I too am purchasing the new 861 if and when it comes out, might even go to the matching 800 with it and dump my G98DH then, it will depend on when it comes out and what other toys I decide to buy until then!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I ran dedicated lines for everything as well, then fell in love with a PurePower audiophile APS system, it's bad a$$ to have battery backup for lighting storms.

I too am purchasing the new 861 if and when it comes out, might even go to the matching 800 with it and dump my G98DH then, it will depend on when it comes out and what other toys I decide to buy until then!
I'd buy an 8 series BD player too.

I have alternate power already built into the house. Using Solar Panels for backup power!
Sponsored Links

Tags
mc207, mcintosh, meridian, plains, pool, purepower, runco, salt, sc, sc1, shunyata, test, vs, water, white, york