Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 10-27-2007   #13

Smile Re: DirecTV nightmare continues - Do I need a new dish?

Jerry, I never stated that this would all be easy. As far as channel goes here in New York, in Westchester, there are 45 HD channels. Also, HD service is free with Cablevision and Time Warner. I have had many customers switch back to Cablevision due to the outrageous cost of their HD boxes, with and without the DVR service, and, since we were taking marketshare, DirecTV starting trying to hold customers to a contract, with a early termination fee of $200.00.
Which by the way, Cablevision paid while I was there. As long as they could provide a bill. Now, the out lay of money you have already put out. No, there is nothing that can be done about that for you and the customers I had. One sale I got because and additional HD box for this guy was $200.00, plus the monthly fee. I went in, replaced all 5 of his boxes with DVR service. But, what your about the future. You have bad service, high cost, and your not happy, right now.

I ran into the NFL TICKET issue also why selling. Do you know that you can put your DirecTV to sleep? And have it turned back on when the NFL season starts back up. I did that with some customers and it worked for them. Just like people who go to their summer homes in the winter, have there Cable shut off, until the summer. Slighty different scenario, but it worked.

Now as far as the Crestron remote, RS 232, being away from it since December 2006, I can talk with you about that. HD channels, I guess you have to weigh that. Is it about the amount of channels, or the RIGHT channels that you want to watch in HD? If I don`t have my channels, you can have 200 channels, and it would not matter to me. So, I`m just trying to help out. When I looked at most people`s options, Cablevision over all, was the better choice. Cablevision goes out, DirecTV has weather problems. I can tell you this, watching a game or movie most times, Cable was a lock. But, during rain and wind, I had DirecTV go out during movies and games. So, I don`t know what you plan to do, but I`m given you first hand experience of what I have seen in the field.
Weigh all factors, price it out, and see where that leaves you.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #14

Default Re: DirecTV nightmare continues - Do I need a new dish?

45 channels in HD isn't very much.

DirecTV has added almost 100 in the past month and they were close to leading before that.

The problem is you need an MPG4 receiver and I only have one of those running so far.

I am likely to replace all of my TiVos with the HR20 and then hold out for the HR2i Pro this fall for my big theater.
Old 10-27-2007   #15

Alright. But that is in Westchester. other markets have more. But, I see your into quantity of channels, as opposed to the channels you most want to watch. Cool. You got to do whats best for you.
But, DirecTV to me, as I mentioned in another thread is over priced, service is not the best, they charge for HIgh Definition service, the boxes are wildly expensive, and unreliable. This has been my experience in the field Jerry.
Let me make this clear, I have no allegiance to either company. But it seems to me, that DirecTV is a rip off for what they provide. The only thing, and i mean the ONLY thing that is barely keeping them a float here, is NFL TICKET. I`ve had customers tell me, if it was not for that, they would switch immediately. And most of those customers are the ones with the family package, no HD, and maybe one or two premium channels.
But when i hit a family that needs 3 HD boxes at 200.00 each, they`ll switch.
Old 10-27-2007   #16

I need new receivers it turns out.

Watching USC - Oregon on Fox Sports West 2 and it looks TERRIBLE in SD. My Faroudja can only do so much when being fed garbage video.

Seemingly my USC offense can only do so much with their back up QB. They can't seem to get down field very well. They are down 10-3 at the 1/2 and this is a MUST win game for any hopes of a National Championship birth OR even a Rosebowl.
Old 10-27-2007   #17

Question Re: DirecTV nightmare continues - Do I need a new dish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I need new receivers it turns out.

Watching USC - Oregon on Fox Sports West 2 and it looks TERRIBLE in SD. My Faroudja can only do so much when being fed garbage video.

Seemingly my USC offense can only do so much with their back up QB. They can't seem to get down field very well. They are down 10-3 at the 1/2 and this is a MUST win game for any hopes of a National Championship birth OR even a Rosebowl.
Wow, I guess you know they lost. I guess you got to expect that with the quarterback not playing well. Your having a tough year between USC and the Eagles. Who do the Eagles have this week while my Giants are in London?
Old 10-27-2007   #18

Mark Sanchez is going to be a GOOD QB for USC next year most likely. He lost the game for them today. He was dealt the chance to be a star and answered with an interception.

The Eagles (who SUCK this year) are playing the Vikings tomorrow on Fox. At least THAT game will be on in HD. The USC game wasn't and it looked HORRIBLE!!!
Sponsored Links

Tags
bband, box, channels, directv, dish, hd, hdtv, home, nightmare, problems, receive, rev, satellite, update, weather, weekend