Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 02-03-2009   #13

Default Re: Learning to hate DirecTV more and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Amongst stealing our boxes, fraudulently claiming we are in multi-year contracts that we never signed, and then sending collection agencies after us for not paying cancellation fees on these fraudulent contracts, I would think we would definitely have a case against them.
I don't think you can win a lawsuit just because you didn't do the research!
You do not have to sign anything, you are in a 2 year contract as soon as you activate your receiver.
If you read the contract & ask questions all of this would be clear to you.

For all the complaints I hear DirecTV is still way better both in quality & customer service than the cable companies are!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I don't think you can win a lawsuit just because you didn't do the research!
You do not have to sign anything, you are in a 2 year contract as soon as you activate your receiver.
If you read the contract & ask questions all of this would be clear to you.

For all the complaints I hear DirecTV is still way better both in quality & customer service than the cable companies are!
Well, I did NOT activate my new box, the installer did when he replaced my under warranty Tivo box with one of the new directv boxes which I never wanted.

I have Dish now which has been as good, if not better in some respects in quality and definitely better in customer service.

Cable has never been an option here since I have not seen any of the cable companies with a picture better than satellite.

FIOS looks good, but is not available in all areas.

Just wait until you have a problem with your system, and we'll see what you think of directv then.
I've have yet to hear a story about problematic directv equipment where the customer actually walked away satisfied.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
That is the question. Why does it seem like there is always this brick wall and no matter what evidence/proof you have that they are stealing from you, there is a response to everything? Why do they need my money more than I do? Is it because they lose customers on account of them not caring? And how are they legally able to take our money like that and there is literally nothing we can do short of a class action law suit which I am mere steps from attempting. Its not fair, its extremely frustrating and for what? So I can watch movies from outer space? How is it that not one single person you talk to there cares enough to just give in? Oh right, because THAT would represent customer service. They literally do not care. I don't mean they fake it, not even that. They pretty much just say "We have absolutely no interest in keeping your business or making you feel better about the awful situation we have put you in, because we can just take your money and keep it, so... f*** you, g'night."

Gotta love it! I need to find out more about class action lawsuits...
DirecTV exhibited no hesitation in filing thousands of lawsuits when, in conjunction with FBI and Canadian law enforcement, records were seized and credit card purchases could be tracked to those buying the Su2 coded looper devices.

DirecTV representatives quote pricing that isn't honored after equipment is installed, their promotional campaigns are misleading, and their billing and business practices can be deceptive. Add to this less than stellar experience the fact that any technical assistance requires an endless wait on hold, followed by another endless wait if advanced assistance is required, a class action lawsuit might just be in order.
ChiefTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #16

Get verizon fios if you can.
gem1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #17

Angry Re: Learning to hate DirecTV more and more

“I don't think you can win a lawsuit just because you didn't do the research!
You do not have to sign anything, you are in a 2 year contract as soon as you activate your receiver. If you read the contract & ask questions all of this would be clear to you.”

Huh? My Direct TV was installed and activated by them. ONLY AFTER THEY RIPPED OUT EVERYTHING they gave me a long document to initial stating that they had done everything.

But a MAJOR big deal of any contract is that they have to live up to their end of bargain. To install boxes (ultimately 5 or 6, I forget) means that they did not deliver services to me although I paid them a great deal of money each month. I returned their broken boxes but never got the $300 I paid them. Instead they went after my credit rating to get even more money.

“If you read the contract” When was I to read this contract? AFTER they ripped out everything? And in five minutes? You need a lawyer to go through all that. And a magnifying glass.

Honestly, my favorite example of Direct TV inability to get something right: The delivered a new box to us, our fourth and demanded that the old box be returned in a week or we would be charged $400. They scheduled their installer however, to come and replace the box (and check out the system) in TWO weeks. So good luck if you cannot do your own box. They also charge you for the week you would be down.

Not perfect, but FIOS came to my neighborhood with HDTV in September and I switched to them on October 1. Look, anything was better than Cablevision, I’d still take Direct TV over them. Cablevision had poor picture, high costs and the fewest HD stations.

FIOS has the most HD channels, especially the movie channels of Direct TV or Cablevision. The HD is better than Direct TV, their standard definition is not as good. Direct TV is the way to go if you want the football package. Of what I watch, there are more movie channels on FIOS, less sports, children, and home shopping. The FIOS boxes take minutes to reboot, Direct TV took forever, although the FIOS ones need less rebooting.

A MAJOR thing on FIOS is the availability of free Video on Demand, there is a ton of stuff, including recent TV shows in HDTV. Also, FIOS used trained FIOS people, Direct TV uses local service guys who pretend to be Direct TV guys.

Now, a big thing is pricing. I now get my three services, TV, internet and phone from FIOS and pay roughly $60 a month less than when I got everything separately. I bring this up because one of my original reasons for getting Direct TV in 1995 was to leave cablevision. Yet, to get Direct TV video on Demand I needed the cablevision (or FIOS) internet service.
Lefisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #18

Unhappy Re: Learning to hate DirecTV more and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post

I am getting fed up with DirecTV. Peyton Manning can kiss my ass. Just provide a service that works and support that doesn't waste my time. This SIMPLE need took 35 minutes on a call on a Saturday. I bill $300 per hour - Can I send them an invoice for $165?
I feel your pain, but as a video dealer who has tested Dish, Comcast, U-verse and DirecTv I can tell you that they are all really bad in the customer service dept. DirecTV is worth it becuase the cost per channel is 40% than comcast and the picture and sound are better than all of them. The truth is customer service does not exist in america except in very small pockets. That is why people call THEHIFIDOC !
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
boxes, cable, charges, contract, customer, defaulting, directv, dvr, free, months, penalty, retention, return, returning, upgrade