Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 06-27-2009   #1

Default dtv through ps3 or xbox 360?

i have a dtv hr20 hd dvr, a ps3, and an xbox 360 all connected to the same network. my ps3 can see my playlists, but it can't recognize the format to play it back.

any tips on how to make this work without using my computer to store all the shows. i just have a laptop with not a lot of hardware space.
kunst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: dtv through ps3 or xbox 360?

Your PS3 can see the playlist from what device? There is no way to play the DVR files via the network on the PS3 that I know of.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #3

my ps3 can see the playlists from my satellite dvr. so it sees the DIRECTV2PC media server, and brings up the playlists of shows, but when it breaks it down to the show; where it would play a video from the computer, it just says "Unsupported Data"
kunst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #4
Administrator

That is correct because Directv uses a proprietary encryption scheme that forces you to use only Directv equipment for playback. You may be interested in this device, the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR Video Capture device, to be able to record your programs onto your PC in HD for network use.
Old 06-28-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
That is correct because Directv uses a proprietary encryption scheme that forces you to use only Directv equipment for playback. You may be interested in this device, the Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR Video Capture device, to be able to record your programs onto your PC in HD for network use.
There is also a program from DirecTV called Direc2PC that lets you play shows you recorded on your DVR on your PC.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
There is also a program from DirecTV called Direc2PC that lets you play shows you recorded on your DVR on your PC.
Yes, but it won't help his PS3 or x-box. I consider that software as Directv equipment, though technically I guess it is not equipment.
Sponsored Links

Tags
360, browse, date, dtv, dvr, files, laptop, make, media, network, ps3, record, sales, setup, video, xbox