Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes (http://www.avrev.com/forum/satellite-receivers-dvrs-cable-boxes-58/)
-   -   HDTV power resets when fast forwarding DVR (http://www.avrev.com/forum/satellite-receivers-dvrs-cable-boxes/3055-hdtv-power-resets-when-fast-forwarding-dvr.html)

richwhite 02-05-2009 03:02 PM

HDTV power resets when fast forwarding DVR

I have a Dish Network VIP612 DVR connected to a Sanyo DP42848 HDTV via HDMI. When I fast forward a recorded show on my DVR it frequently causes the TV power to reset (the TV clicks off and back on). It is incredibly annoying. I called Dish Network and they sent me a new DVR, but it does the exact same thing. Has anyone had this problem? Is the problem with the TV or the DVR? I know it has something to do with the HDMI connection because if I disconnect the HDMI cable and use a component cable to connect the DVR to the TV, then the issue goes away.

celticsfan79 04-22-2009 06:07 AM

Re: HDTV power resets when fast forwarding DVR

Yes I have this problem too and it is beyond annoying. Maybe we should switch HDMI cables? I've tried a different HDMI jack on the back of the television and that didn't work.
Hopefully someone can find out something and help us out with this problem.

rbinck 04-22-2009 09:01 AM

Many monitors and HDTVs will have this problem. What is happening, most likely, is the TV is sensing the video has gone away. This could be because the DVR is not completing the entire frames while in the FF mode via HDMI. Component would be different since the analog video will be continuous as far as frame sweeps even if the picture is incomplete.

You could say it is the fault of either. If the DVR were to complete each frame sent or the TV was more forgiving with incomplete frames, you would not have the issue. I don't have an answer for you, just a possible explanation as to what is going on.

Is the picture a lot better using HDMI vs component on your HDTV?

celticsfan79 04-23-2009 05:51 AM

Thanks for your help. It works now and I feel much better. I have a high tendency to tear electronic things up when they start to get glitches, can't help it, just makes me irate and I certainly didn't want to destroy an HDTV or a receiver that belongs to Dish Network technically.

I can't notice any difference in HDMI vs Component. If the picture suffers any it isn't noticeable with my eyes and is certainly worth the hassel of the fast forward issue being fixed.

rbinck 04-23-2009 07:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback celticsfan. Many installations there is no difference in the picture quality of HDMI and component. HDMI has a slight technical edge, but as long as they are sending HD resolutions via component, it is usually just fine.