Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 08-01-2008   #7

Default Re: DirecTV to have 130 HD channels, 1080p movies Later this year

The only problems I've had with DirecTV has been with their installers. They did not secure the dish and it was blown off course causing me to lose the signal and they stapled the coax to the ceiling from one end of my garage to the other. I had to call them and get them to install wall plates. They simply drilled holes through my walls (3 rooms) and fed the cable through the ragged holes.

The main problem I have with them, and every other pay service is the DVR thing. They all want to charge me a monthly fee for the privilege of recording a program. I don't understand that at all! For years I've been able to program my VCR to record. Now I have to pay for the same functionality? They say that its the TiVo service that I'm paying for. To which I reply, "What service? Are they going to send someone out here to press the record button for me?" I really am tired of being nickeled and dimed to death by these providers. By the time you get all the HD channels and DVR you're into them for well over a hundred bucks a month! FOR TV! God help you if want the same in more than 1 room because that costs you an extra fee for each additional receiver.

I really get ticked by the fact that in order to get the channels you really want, you have to subscribe to packages that include a bunch of useless crap that no one is going to watch.

I never watch SD so why should I have to pay for 400 SD channels? When I told them that I did not want any SD channels and that I only wanted the HD channels they acted like I was some kind of nut. I wish that everyone considering any form of pay television would demand Ale Cart programming. Maybe, if enough people expressed that sentiment we would finally get rid of the necessity of having to filter out the hundreds of Spanish, shopping, soap, and other useless channels to get to the 20 or so ones that we actually watch.

Whoops! Sorry, I didn't mean to spend so much time on my soap box.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #8

Wink Re: DirecTV to have 130 HD channels, 1080p movies Later this year

Amen!
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #9

If you want an HD only package and to not have to pay for a 2nd room (SD only in 2nd room) look into the new DISH Network Turbo HD packages. Turbo HD starts 8/1/08 with 3 HD only packages starting @ $24.99. If you plug your model 722 into a land-based phone line, you get different channels in SD in a 2nd room free. DVR charge is $5.98. What is recorded can be watched in either room. The 722 records up to 55 hours in HD which can be increased by adding an additional USB hard drive. Local channels $5 extra.

1080P starts with some movies today. Dish also claims over 100 national HD channels.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #10
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmHarbor View Post
With direct tv everything
is in the future but the future is always put off.
Dish has 1080p now: http://www.avrevforum.com/showthread.php?t=2290

Although their press release claims to offer 1080p, the setup menu on my 722 receiver only has at most 1080i output resolution setting. Perhaps they will have a software update soon?

Last edited by rex; 08-01-2008 at 03:02 PM..
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #11

Angry Re: DirecTV to have 130 HD channels, 1080p movies Later this year

I have been on DirecTV HD since around 2004 (I can't remember exactly, but there were only about 6 or 7 HD channels at that time and I had an early Sampo 34" direct view 720p set then). I have continually paid the extra fee since that time with the promise of many more channels always just around the corner. About a year and a half ago when they finally got around to seriously adding channels my second generation receiver from Zenith could'nt get any of those since they were in mpeg4. I had to pay to get an upgrade which hit me quite sour since I paid over $700 for the Zenith. Prior to that they did add just a few channels and the best of that was the East/West cost networks in HD. That lasted less than a year as one day I turned on the set and the CBS one was gone followed by the rest of them in about 3 or so months. DirecTV was clueless apparently why this was when the CBS one dropped off and sent a technician out who pronounced my setup fine...But, he said the likely reason why I was no longer getting CBS was that the letter from the affliliate "local" (I live over an hour away from Birmingham, AL whose stations claimed me in their area) was only good for standard definition and not HD. Guess what? He turned out to be right when DirecTV's own telerepresentative did not even realize that.

I had letters of release from all the local afiliates, yet I ended up losing all of my HD networks due to what was apparently the passing in Washington of some bill protecting me from my own evil self. Thanks Washington, I can add this to the fact I have to flush my toilet three times due to your same inane rules and regulations.

Anyway, I continued to pay the HD tier and finally at the beginning of last fall I felt it was finally worth it as they added quite a few new HD offerings at once. Then what did they do? They took away at least a dozen of them and put those on another tier where I would have to pay yet another extra charge. DirecTV is the devil as far as I am concerned. They really do not offer any kind of decent value to the customer, always figuring out ways to gouge your pocketbook. Well, they still have me...So, I guess they're laughing all the way to the bank. Oh, how I wish they had enough competition to pressure them into offering the customer genuine quality and value. I cannot see that happening in my market anytime soon. I'll bet I'm in good company...Surely, many others have experienced similar experiences???
AudioFileZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #12
rex

If you dislike DirectTV so much, why don't you swithc to Dish? Dish doesn't make you buy a receiver. In fact, when I switched from cable I got a free two-room HD DVR and free HD programming for 6 months. DirectTV still has a few more HD channels, but it looks like Dish is quickly catching up.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 2009, bet, channel, channels, component, direct, directtv, directv, dvr, hd, hdtv, history, international, january, movies, tv