Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 02-09-2009   #19

Default Re: DirecTV HD DVR:It's your receiver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
So, got a new optical block today. Overall picture is much better. But today I must decide which dvr is better, the hd20 or the hd22 100. I really can't see much difference between the two. Any opinions.? I read Rex's. I'm not sure when my acct expires with Directv. When will Dish have the multitude of hd channels like Direct
BMW,

I have KDF-60A3000, with very much the same issue you are having the inital service call siad no probelm found enevt though I clearlly demonstated the problem described here... Did the optical block cure this type of problem?

I have recently noticed over the last 2 months video noise in the deep black areas and shadows. It appears as blocks/artifacts (green in tint) and as an overall green cast to the black portions or very dark shadows. This happens with DirecTV HD HR21 (Both HDMI and Component) and DVD (Component). I have also run both devices thru a Pioneer SC-07 and Yamaha 3900 receiver; I still get the same results.

See attached picture of my screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShadowNoise.jpg (80.3 KB, 8 views)
F1Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #20
BMW

Yo F1RACER, I have now had two optical blocks replaced. The latest is working properly. Ialso had the B board replaced. I did have the macroblocking problem which I believe the first new optical block did solve. The macroblocking was present on all sources. When I was trying out a second DVR from Directv I noticed the green blob when the picture went to white while I was changing channels. The green blob is usually first noticed in the upper half of the screen and towards the sides. This is a sure sign that the optical block is failing. I do know someone that replaced their optical block in a A2000 set
BMW
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #21

The last time I looked into it, Dish Network did not offer local HD channels so I would have needed an antenna and rotor to pick them up. Maybe they have now caught up with the times.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #22
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
The last time I looked into it, Dish Network did not offer local HD channels so I would have needed an antenna and rotor to pick them up. Maybe they have now caught up with the times.
The availability of local channels various by area. In Billings MT for example where I used to live DirecTV does not have local channels, however Dish does have local channels (in HD too). In most major cities, I imagine both have locals.

One of the nice things I like about the ViP722 is the ability to control two different TV's in different rooms (with one receiver). You can actually record two different channels while simultaneously viewing two other different recorded programs on each of the TVs. Another great feature is the 750GB external HD for additional recorded programs. I have both hard drives nearly full. I don't know if DirecTV has these features; I doubt it.

Anyone wanting more information about Sat TV or help solving receiver problems, etc. should check out this forum:

http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
I don't think there is much difference in total number of HD channels. Both now have over 100 HD channels, though the selection of channels is different, so you might prefer one over the other based on your particular viewing preferences.
actully the channels are the same but directv counts differently than dish - dish includes the ppv
steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
23r, dirctv, directv, discount, download, dvr, free, hd, hdtv, hdvr, hooked, receiver, receivers, satellite, separate