Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 10-28-2008   #7

Default Re: DirecTV HD DVR:It's your receiver!

The HR22 is the same as the HR21 but with a 500gb hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermonkey View Post
So what about the new HR22 series? I've gone through one already, but I'm assuming it was just a dud. The new one is doing fine so far. It's flawless so far with recording, but I don't have a HD TV to watch it on so I don't know about the video quality.
SteinyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Wow, so, is this why my sony 70" has motion problems on hi def programs like two and 1/2 men? Especially older programs. And many programs are just not very sharpl My display when purchased did have problems but this sounds like the big tamale.By the way I have an hr 20 dvr.
BMW
Set the receiver to 720p. 1080i is going to reveal stuttering and other irritating picture anomalies. The new receivers have recently downloaded software making them 1080p capable.
Watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #9
BMW

Well, I contacted directv and was able to get them to send me a new dvr. They told me the newest model is the hr21p, but couldn't guarantee which model would be sent. Today I received a hr22 100. I have not hooked it up yet because my wife wants to watch an already recorded program. Anybody know? is this a better unit than my hr20?
BMW
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Well, I contacted directv and was able to get them to send me a new dvr. They told me the newest model is the hr21p, but couldn't guarantee which model would be sent. Today I received a hr22 100. I have not hooked it up yet because my wife wants to watch an already recorded program. Anybody know? is this a better unit than my hr20?
BMW
Well, you're in a good position to compare the two. I'd be interested in hearing your report. Call DTV and nicely ask them if you could receive their offer of the five channels of extra HD including the Smithsonian channel for three months free. I don't recall the name of the package, but it's something like HD extended. Then tune in to channel 267 or 255 and set your receiver to 720p and then set it to 1080i and let us all know how it looks. Before you do anything, though, when you first apply power to it, quickly pick up your remote and enter "0,2,4,6,8" when you see the initial message on screen indicating the receiver is booting up. This will force a new software download. It should also make your receiver 1080p capable. Not having a TV that's HD I don't know how to make this the default resolution for the receiver. Maybe just selecting 1080i will me enough and then the on-screen menu will ask you if you want 1080p. I haven't done it so I don't know. You've got the latest and greatest receiver now, though. Let us know how it looks.
Watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #11

I have a hr10-250 and a 21. I do a side by side from OTA and mpg4 ....absolutely no comparision...also mpg2 to mpg4 big difference. MPg4 quality is definitely worst by far.
rickyble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #12
BMW

Well, I fired up my hr22 100 and was quite surprised to see a much poorer picture quality in comparison to my hr 20 dvr. This morning I turned on the HD news and the anchors looked like crap. Normally this is a crisp picture. Next, I guess I will call Directv and?????
BMW
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
23r, dirctv, directv, discount, download, dvr, free, hd, hdtv, hdvr, hooked, receiver, receivers, satellite, separate