Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 06-24-2008   #1

Unhappy Copy protect trying to make a comeback

Or otherwise called, Selectable Output Control which was prohibited by the FCC sometime ago.
The Motion Picture Studios are trying to re-allow it to suposedly allow first runs to be shown prior to media release dates (i.e. HBO).
While I don't have a problem with that, can certainly see the copy protect bit being "accidentally" left set for long after its been released.

This would primarily affect future DVR,TIVO units.

FCC may make DVR design harder, and limit functionality
http://www.videsignline.com/blogs/208800375
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...-08-1081A1.txt

Comments to the FCC can be sent up til 7/7.
m_a_simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #2
rex

Default Re: Copy protect trying to make a comeback

m_a_simons,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll repost this information on a couple of other sites to try to get the word out.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, bit, cable, copy, protect, protection, receiver, satellite