Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes

Satellite Receivers, DVRs & Cable Boxes Having firmware issues with your DVR? Does your TiVo always miss the last few minutes of the game? Does your MPEG-4 cable box have issues? Discuss here.

Old 04-10-2008   #7

Default Re: Comcast Blurs High Def Image...

It seems that all of the cable/sat companies use compression levels that vary from channel to channel. When I installed my first HDTV about 5 years ago there wasn't much HD available except for DirecTV and OTA. The signals from the DirecTV are always inferior to the ones coming Over The Air and the the differences in the quality of HD from one channel to another is vast. An interesting phenomenom to note: My first HD SAT receiver was a Samsung which I purchased at Circuit City. I compared several of the satellite HD receivers and felt that the DirecTV brand was the worst in terms of picture quality and GUI. Sony's was excellent, but too expensive. Today, there are no third party choices for DirecTV compatible receivers and we are forced to use the ones made by/for DirecTV.

2 Years ago I moved and DirecTV told me that they needed to update my system as my old receiver was not MP4 compatible. They replaced my equipment with their new stuff and the picture quality wasn't nearly as good as with the old stuff. After 3 weeks of working with their tech support, they agreed to allow me to reinstall my old receiver and return their H10 receiver. (I preferred to have 9 channels of high quality HD than 40 channels of inferior HD) When I learned that DirecTV had a new MP4 HD receiver available a few weeks ago (HR21) I upgraded to it and finally retired the trusty Samsung MP2 receiver. Not without problems though. The new receiver's picture quality was even worse than the first time I tried to upgrade to an MP4 compatible receiver. When I tried to point out to the installer that the new receiver was grossly inferior to my old one he said, "I can't see anything wrong with this picture. Its one of the best I've seen." We rerouted a cable from one of the bedrooms and hooked up my old receiver so that he could see the difference in a quick A/B comparison and all he could say was, "WOW! (Makes me wonder how many people THINK that they are getting the best picture possible, when in fact, it is far from it)

After a few calls to tech support I finally spoke with some guy who seemed to know his stuff. After I explained to him the very obvious inferiority of the picture quality of the new receiver he asked me to hold for a moment. While I was waiting for him to come back to the phone, the picture quality of the 2 receivers reversed. The new one suddenly got much, much clearer with better color saturation, less jaggies, and less motion artifacts. The old receiver's picture became noticeably softer. When the tech returned I asked him what had he done and he said that some 'adjustments' were made from his end. If you are unhappy with the quality of your picture, call and complain. Encourage your friends to do the same. We are the folks paying for this stuff. When enough people complain, companies act. If your current provider doesn't act, or isn't satisfying your needs, switch, or at least threaten to switch to one of the other providers. You'd be amazed what can happen when you say, "Cancel my service. I'm calling someone else."

There are still major picture quality differences between channels, and none of them (HDNET excepted) approach the beauty of OTA HD. Although I believe that DirecTV has more and better quality HD pictures than cable, AT&T and Dish, until they improve all HD channels to the level of OTA, I will continue to send emails to DirecTV asking for better quality.

Before I climb down off this soap box, I have one more thing to say. PLEASE, email the content providers and let them know that banner ads running across the screen during normal broadcasts of movies and sports is ANNOYING! If we allow this to get started, it won't be long 'till we'll be looking for pop up blockers for our televisions. If you think I'm wrong, remember when the theaters showed cartoons before the main feature? Not any more. We now sit through 20 to 30 minutes of commercials before the feature.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8

I have yet to see HD or even SD on Cable that looked really good. All the satellite companies currently in business and even those now out of business (not mention just regular terrestrial antennas) have all produced a better HD picture from what I've seen. My experience with Cable in TX, for the most part, is that it just has too many problems - quality and cost.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #9
wes

Cool Re: Comcast Blurs High Def Image...

Well, I canceled my TV about six years ago as I don't watch much sport on TV and thought that the rest of the programing was garbage 250 channels of rubbish

I watch movies 100% or documentaries on DVD with no commercials and awesome picture and sound the rest of the time I am outdoors.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #10

Unhappy Re: Comcast Blurs High Def Image...

"You'd be amazed what can happen when you say, "Cancel my service. I'm calling someone else."

I would normally agree with you and I think this only works with Dish, Direct and a small number of cable companies. IMHO when most cable companies hear someone say, " Cancel my service because I am tired of your bs and I am going to switch to Direct TV". I have found that cable companies basically say, " So what go ahead we will be happy to end your service". There attitude seems to be that they feel that they are the only game in town so most cable companies could care less if you are a customer or not! I recently had Cox Cable here in Phoenix and while I did get a hold of a nice customer service person the last time I called. I got tired of the over priced service and sucky picture quality. I also got tired of the box suffering from alzheimer's and forgetting everything above channel 100. The other HD box had a dvr and would always cut off the end of the program. Nether one of these problems where ever corrected over the 1 year I had service with Cox Communication. It would be great if they treated most of there customers like they mattered and that they would not want you to switch. But cable is cable, so what can ya do!

I loves my Blu-ray player !!!

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #11

Thumbs down Re: Comcast Blurs High Def Image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz View Post
"You'd be amazed what can happen when you say, "Cancel my service. I'm calling someone else."

I would normally agree with you and I think this only works with Dish, Direct and a small number of cable companies. IMHO when most cable companies hear someone say, " Cancel my service because I am tired of your bs and I am going to switch to Direct TV". I have found that cable companies basically say, " So what go ahead we will be happy to end your service". There attitude seems to be that they feel that they are the only game in town so most cable companies could care less if you are a customer or not! !
You are 100% right. Comcast has lost me forever! I tried the HD and it was terrible. I had high speed internet and it was always down and on top of it all they were adding all these little extra fees and charges and when questioned they get an attitude and basically say tough ****!!!

Directv couldn't care less either. Both try to get you back later with tons of mailings but never good customer service or a refund of money or rebates.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #12

Our local cable company (Cox) has worse HD with a lot less channel than my DirecTV does so I'll be keeping them for now but when FIOS gets to my neighborhood DirecTV better step it up!
I do watch network prime time shows on the OTA antenna because the quality is so much better.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blur, blurring, box, boxes, cable, calibration, cheater, comcast, definition, digital, hd, hdtv, high, image, mp4, picture, player, quality, satellite