Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup-13/)
-   -   I choked on buying "Quiet Rock" (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup/730-i-choked-buying-quiet-rock.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-18-2007 05:07 PM

I choked on buying "Quiet Rock"

When I built my theater - I choked on the expense of doing all of the quiet rock products.

They have an entire host of products that help keep the sound from your room from leaking out. For me the cost was going to be about 2.5 times that of traditional drywall thus I took the cheap way out.

I can see in a condo this being a MUST. Check out this unit in Marina Del Rey that used it. http://www.modernhometheater.com/vir...ach/slideshow/

I also can see a studio using this kind of isolation to keep people from interupting a session with other noise.

At the Boston Acoustics labs - they have totally isolated rooms that i am pretty confident they use Quiet Rock in.

Do you think this is worth the investment for your theater?

tigeraudio2007 09-18-2007 05:55 PM

Re: I choked on buying "Quiet Rock"

Absolutely. Proper acoustic treatment can save everyone a lot of grief.

In my condo, I share one wall with a neighbor, an elder lady. I can't turn my system up to a less than ideal listening volume before she comes knocking on the door. In the middle of prime-time listening hours on a weekend. A little unfair if you ask me.

Anyway, my point is that I can hear sounds coming from my neighbors wall, through the converted hallway closet, and worst of them all, up through my floor right below my main system. I can't tell you how close I am to tearing up the hardwood floor and putting in some sound proofing. It is so annoying to have muddled sound coming up through the floors and wall while I am stuck listening at a less than ideal volume to appease my other neighbor. To give you an idea, it is like my neighbor below me installed in-ceilings speakers and an in-ceiling sub (not that they exist). SOOOOO annoying.

If it wasn't so aesthically non-pleasing and cost prohibitive, I would get some sound blankets and drape them on the walls and floor.

JerryDelColliano 09-18-2007 05:59 PM

I used to live next to a famous singer in West Hollywood who it turns out was gay. While we had plaster walls and I would LOVE to think I am REALLY open minded - there were times I wish I had a LOT of Quiet Rock on that far wall.

I can only imagine what his wife though as she was in the other unit on the other side of the building....

deacongreg 09-18-2007 08:09 PM

I checked the theater. But the"Ocean View Deck",man, I told you Jerry how I liked the water. Absolutely beautiful. You can walk right onto the beach into the water.

That is what I`m talking about!!

Bob Hodas 09-20-2007 10:10 AM

Well, the big advantage of QR is space and labor costs. They claim with the 5/8" version a 3-5 layer equivalency to sheet rock. Obviously that's a big difference in space required. As to labor, consider proper installment of sheet rock which requires staggered seams, taping and sealing each layer, and screwing and glueing each layer. That's a lot of labor costs. The QR really works.

In a room like Jerry's, isolation was not really the issue. He has little or no outside traffic. His neighbors are not too close. I don't think he needed more than 2 layers of sheet rock.

As to floor transmission in an apartment building, good luck. You will be able to stop mid and high frequencies, eliminating voice transmission but the bass travels through the structure and will come right up the walls.

lee16 01-30-2009 06:51 PM

Where do you buy Quiet rock in the Los Angeles area? I went to Home depot and they never heard of it.