Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup-13/)
-   -   Planing a home theatre (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup/3075-planing-home-theatre.html)

aardvarcus 02-09-2009 11:15 AM

Planing a home theatre

I am building a new home in the near future, and am designing my new home theater which will go in my basement. The space I have to put it in measures 13'-8" wide, 18'-6" long, and 8' high. This space is measured to the inside of some insulated walls I will be putting against my block work and on top of an insulated floor.

My plan is to build a "room within a room", leaving a 1-2" gap between those walls and my new walls, creating a new room with inside dimensions of 12'-2"*17'-8"*7'-7".

Will this room be too small to sound good? If so, should I deviate from the ideal case of 1, 1.6, 2.33 to take up as much room as possible? Should I forget the double walls?

Bob Hodas 02-23-2009 09:20 PM

Re: Planing a home theatre

The inner room is not too small but the height is pretty low. But I would only build the 2nd wall if you really need the isolation from the rest of the house.

Largine 03-04-2009 09:13 PM

your inner rooms height is too small, so you have to forget your double walls idea, and i want to share one thing with you that if you are going to build new home and you have fixed that which home theater you want to purchase then i can suggest you an online resource which will help you to purchase new home theater chairs.

rickcreel 03-05-2009 04:47 PM

Your room will work, although your ceiling is low. Everything is affected by dimensions, but there are ways around all of that. I would suggest you visit our web site at www.advancedaudiovideo.com which will have much information that you will find useful.

A big concern is to keep chairs away from walls, if at all possible. As far as doing the "extra" walls, this is only needed if you're wanting to do sound isolation. Truth is, we do many large homes (our largest is 400,000 sq. ft.) with theaters that never do any isolation. usually your guests are in the room with you. The majority of the sound you will hear outside the room are the lows (booms, etc). These are usually just a dull rumble, even if you have a very powerful system. Most of the highs are never heard more than about 20 feet away.

A major problem that most people have in a room this size is putting speakers to high. If your seating is next to a wall or against the back wall, and the speakers are above your head, this is very poor audio design. The picture is easy enough to do and get right, but if you don't design your audio, it could mean great dissatisfaction in the use of your room.

When designing your audio, use mirrors. Place a mirror where your speaker will be, then shine a light on it from different directions. Where the light shines is how it will hit the listeners ears. You don't want to have a chair next to a wall with the speaker coming out directly in your ear. You need to be a couple of feet away, at least.

Anyway, there is to much detail to try to tell in a single letter how to design your room. It will work, but do your research. Think about wiring for WII and Nintendo as well. These are great rooms for these games as well.

Again, go visiti our web site for more information.

chelsideren 02-07-2011 10:35 PM

If possible, avoid square rooms and long narrow rectangular rooms because deep bass sound waves misbehave or "pile up" in square or extra-long rooms.
Home Theater eBook

einteractive 11-11-2012 10:16 PM

I also agree that home theater would sound good in your room. However, to set it up for getting perfect audio and video, you should consider taking help of professionals for installing your home theater system.