Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup-13/)
-   -   accoustic drop ceiling tiles? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup/2998-accoustic-drop-ceiling-tiles.html)

TCPlague 01-11-2009 05:56 PM

accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
I am planning out some absorption panels for my media room and have done a fair bit of research. Due to limited material availability I will most likely use Roxul safe and sound. While at the local hardware store getting my materials I noticed a few packages of "Sonoflex" accoustic drop ceiling tiles. I did not buy anything yet bringing me to my question. I would rather work with rigid insulation than batting and am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of using these tiles in theater or audio rooms as absorption panels? Just by inspecting them, they would be way easier to work with and look to be made of some sort of compressed mineral fibre. Any info here would be very appreciated.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/...x4_sono_etched

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/...2x4_sono_fssrd.

here they are. hoping the info at these links will help. will these work as good as roxul or rock wool? My room now is 11' x 11' x 8' ceiling, bare drywall, hardwood floor (also bare) Im sure at this point blankets would work but now that the girl lives here its gotta look good.

Bob Hodas 02-23-2009 09:12 PM

Re: accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
The Sonoflex indicates a noise absorption of .55. Look up the Roxul and see how that compares. The higher the coefficient, the more absorptive the panel.

kuschman03 07-01-2009 10:57 AM

Re: accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
Hey guys,

Great questions you have here as sound as as important as any other issue in a home theater. For me though I wanted my basement home theater to look really cool too. This is something that my crappy old drop ceiling tiles didn't help with. They were good for the sound but overall I just hated looking at them.

I did a lot of research and ended up going with a Black Dart tile from Ceilume Ceiling Tiles. Their website is www.ceilume.com. The Dart tile has an NRC rating of 30% and I also used something they sell called the Accoustotherm Backpanel which boosted my NRC up another 10% for a total NRC rating of 40%. While this is a bit lower than some of the more heavy duty tiles I researched, the look of the final product was awesome to say the least.

Check out their gallery of Home Theaters from their website:

http://www.ceilumegallery.com/result...eatre/page/all

I also found some great information on a forum called AVSforum and I think their website is just AVSforum.com . There are a ton of people on there who also used Ceilume and there is some great feedback as to how the tiles held up. For me they do a perfect job and everyone loves hanging out in my basement and watching movies.

They also gave me a 5% discount off of my order for ordering samples which turned out to be 100% free, I didn't even have to pay for shipping, like all of the other larger places make you do. Here is a link to their free sample page if you're interested:

http://www.ceilume.com/ceilingtile_b...reesamples.cfm

Anyway, I hope this helps someone, please feel free to ask any questions about my project.

Take care

Eva2100 06-25-2010 11:10 PM

Re: accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
hello,
All,nice to meet you!

Eva2100 07-15-2010 08:43 PM

Re: accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
media room? aha, I think I could give you some idea about how to fit your media room. Maybe you could lay beautiful tiles on the floor and wall. The ceramic tiles are magical, you could make your room spexial with them. I know a tile website is good, you could open it to know more about the information that you want.
http://leader-ceramic.com

rbinck 07-16-2010 08:20 AM

Re: accoustic drop ceiling tiles?
 
Ceramic tiles are not very good acoustically. Best to avoid them in a media room.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 AM.


1996-2008 AVRev.com | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1