Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 11-09-2007   #7

Default Re: What material to stuff inside drywall cavbity?

I hear cash stuffed in a wall (think The Sopranos) is a good absorbtion device. Really takes that "slap back" echo out of a room.

Simply take about $750,000 in small bills and scrunch them up and stuff them into your walls before you hang the drywall and prepare to be amazed....
Old 03-12-2008   #8

I am assuming you all know of z-channel, it goes between two layers of sheetrock. That is what my contractor wants to do along with blown-in insulation. My new theator is right the master suite so I am mostly worried about not infuriating the wife watching my movies late at night (insomniac).

Is this product worth it and should I have the contract look at quiet rock as one of the layers?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #9
lpl

Exclamation Re: What material to stuff inside drywall cavbity?

Everyone is forgetting the most important item in sound isolation--mechanical isolation. That is, it is absolutely vital to make sure the outside wall is not connected to the inside wall. Normally, both walls are nailed to the same studs. But then, that means when one wall moves, the other moves an equal amount. To resolve that problem, do not nail both walls to the same stud--stagger the stud alignment and attach the walls to alternate studs. That way, the movement of one wall will not be translated to the other wall. Then when you add the sound insulation between the walls you have "relatively complete" sound isolation without affecting the acoustic characteristics of the room. That allows you to fine-tune the room's sound.
lpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008   #10

Yes, mechanical isolation is of the utmost importance. But most homeowners don't have that luxury. From reading the original post, I believe he would need to float his floor as well which is a very expensive proposition.
BH
Bob Hodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #11

I recommend you use the hottest new material for acoustic performance - actual US dollars.

Here is what you do:
- take out about $50,000 in ones and stiff them behind and in between your RPG treatments for absorbtion.
- Listen for an improved upper midrange and some stiffening in the bass around 80 Hz.

Why this is a good idea:
- The dollar is SO weak under our GENIUS president - why not?
- With the stocks I own in the market - I would have saved $35,000 easily of the $50,000 needed if I put my money into acoustics over stocks.
Old 03-30-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I recommend you use the hottest new material for acoustic performance - actual US dollars.

Here is what you do:
- take out about $50,000 in ones and stiff them behind and in between your RPG treatments for absorbtion.
- Listen for an improved upper midrange and some stiffening in the bass around 80 Hz.

Why this is a good idea:
- The dollar is SO weak under our GENIUS president - why not?
- With the stocks I own in the market - I would have saved $35,000 easily of the $50,000 needed if I put my money into acoustics over stocks.
For better sound isolation take your bills and stuff them in a mattress and put the whole mattress in the wall. Don't forget to add some euros and gold as an inflation buffer.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
cheaper, compare, dry, drywall, factordamped, inside, insulate, insulating, insulation, issues, quiet, rock, sound, wall, whats