Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 08-24-2008   #1

Default Setting Up a new system - Please Help

Hello All,

I have been waiting for a long time and my TV room is almost built. I am putting together a system and need a lot of help. I have been reading reviews and doing online research, however I am not sure what items to choose.

I am hoping since you are the experts you would be able to give me some guidance.

Room Size 16X12, It is going to be used for watching tv/movies and listening to music(no video games, that is in another room). If I wanted to hide all the equipment there is a closet right behind the wall that the TV will go on. Just another topic for discussion.

TV Panasonic TH 50PZ800U plasma.
I am pretty much set on this one do to price and reviews

Should I mount on the wall or use an entertainment unit of some type.

receiver:
Yamaha RXV3800BL(3900)
Yamaha RXV1800BL(1900)
Yamaha RXV863BL
I know that Sony,Denon,Onkyo all make basically equal receivers, from what I read I can't go wrong with the Yamaha.
Is there any major features that the above don't have, I know I read about up converting, I believe these all do it. Is there any advantage to using the higher end models or will the mid price receivers do the job.

Speakers.
This is the area that I am very lost. I have done some research and by first concern is that the speakers I have chosen are to much for the room. I like the look of having the speakers look like pieces of furniture.

Systems I am considering (In no particular order)
Klipsch:
RF63-probably more than I want to spend, RF 82, RF 62, WF35,XF48
Jamo:
C80 series 2-C809,C80sub,C80cen,2-C803
Yamaha:
2-Soavo1,900sw,900C,2-900m
Boston Acoustics:
Horizon 2-HS460,HPS12H,HS225,2-HS60

In addition I need some help with cables. I will need to purchase in the very near future before the walls are sheetrocked. Can you make suggestions on what cables I will need and how much I will need.

These are the basic components that I need. I haven't started looking it the other items.
Power Conditioner (surge/battery backup)
Blue Ray player
Universal remote
any other must haves that I am forgetting.

I really appreciate your help. If you would like to contact me directly my email is itssimplyme65@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,

Steve
itssimplyme65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #2

Default Re: A few more reviews and some advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Also look at the Marantz 8002.

Blu-ray is tricky but DO NOT GO WITHOUT ONE. 1080p is the ANSWER. I use the Sony BDP-1. The Pioneer is good too - very similar.

What are you going to do about Universal remote? KennyT uses Harmony which are cheap, good and EASY to program.
I can second the Marantz SR8002, and FWIW it is what I am personally using in my bedroom system, it does lack video processing, but in that price range, no one is doing GOOD video processing anyway. The Harmony remotes are SWEET!!!!! I think the best one is the 890, which can be had @ Amazon.com for ~$290, and worth every penny! my step daughters and wife can work my main rig easily. That may sound simple, but my main rig houses over a dozen components and no less than six sources, so to be able to get control from a single button press from a remote is a HUGE convenience factor for me, no phone calls at work "the TV doesn't work" anymore!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3

Default Re: Setting Up a new system - Please Help

I use Harmony too. My wife can use it and that's all that matters to me. I don't need calls from home about the system not working when I'm tuning a room. I found it difficult to program but that was 3 years ago and I'm sure it's easier by now.
Bob Hodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #4

Thumbs up Re: Setting Up a new system - Please Help

[QUOTE=itssimplyme65;17228]Hello All,

I have been waiting for a long time and my TV room is almost built. I am putting together a system and need a lot of help. I have been reading reviews and doing online research, however I am not sure what items to choose.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents on your speaker choice: The Jamo C80 series are the best in the price range that I have heard. The only problem is Jamo stopped making them because the cost to make them went up 25%. I listen to mine everyday at work I LOVE them. I know you will too! And I use a Yamaha RXV3800 and I just got their 2900 Blu-Ray player. Can't wait to fire it up. Thanks DrG
DGittings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1900, 3900, 8002, audio, klipsch, marantz, receiver, review, reviews, rf63, rxv1800bl, rxv863bl, setting, systems, tv, yamaha