Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup-13/)
-   -   Setting Up a new system - Please Help (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup/2361-setting-up-new-system-please-help.html)

itssimplyme65 08-24-2008 09:57 AM

Setting Up a new system - Please Help

Hello All,

I have been waiting for a long time and my TV room is almost built. I am putting together a system and need a lot of help. I have been reading reviews and doing online research, however I am not sure what items to choose.

I am hoping since you are the experts you would be able to give me some guidance.

Room Size 16X12, It is going to be used for watching tv/movies and listening to music(no video games, that is in another room). If I wanted to hide all the equipment there is a closet right behind the wall that the TV will go on. Just another topic for discussion.

TV Panasonic TH 50PZ800U plasma.
I am pretty much set on this one do to price and reviews

Should I mount on the wall or use an entertainment unit of some type.

receiver:
Yamaha RXV3800BL(3900)
Yamaha RXV1800BL(1900)
Yamaha RXV863BL
I know that Sony,Denon,Onkyo all make basically equal receivers, from what I read I can't go wrong with the Yamaha.
Is there any major features that the above don't have, I know I read about up converting, I believe these all do it. Is there any advantage to using the higher end models or will the mid price receivers do the job.

Speakers.
This is the area that I am very lost. I have done some research and by first concern is that the speakers I have chosen are to much for the room. I like the look of having the speakers look like pieces of furniture.

Systems I am considering (In no particular order)
Klipsch:
RF63-probably more than I want to spend, RF 82, RF 62, WF35,XF48
Jamo:
C80 series 2-C809,C80sub,C80cen,2-C803
Yamaha:
2-Soavo1,900sw,900C,2-900m
Boston Acoustics:
Horizon 2-HS460,HPS12H,HS225,2-HS60

In addition I need some help with cables. I will need to purchase in the very near future before the walls are sheetrocked. Can you make suggestions on what cables I will need and how much I will need.

These are the basic components that I need. I haven't started looking it the other items.
Power Conditioner (surge/battery backup)
Blue Ray player
Universal remote
any other must haves that I am forgetting.

I really appreciate your help. If you would like to contact me directly my email is itssimplyme65@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,

Steve

kennyt 08-24-2008 03:22 PM

Re: A few more reviews and some advice...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 17254)
Also look at the Marantz 8002.

Blu-ray is tricky but DO NOT GO WITHOUT ONE. 1080p is the ANSWER. I use the Sony BDP-1. The Pioneer is good too - very similar.

What are you going to do about Universal remote? KennyT uses Harmony which are cheap, good and EASY to program.

I can second the Marantz SR8002, and FWIW it is what I am personally using in my bedroom system, it does lack video processing, but in that price range, no one is doing GOOD video processing anyway. The Harmony remotes are SWEET!!!!! I think the best one is the 890, which can be had @ Amazon.com for ~$290, and worth every penny! my step daughters and wife can work my main rig easily. That may sound simple, but my main rig houses over a dozen components and no less than six sources, so to be able to get control from a single button press from a remote is a HUGE convenience factor for me, no phone calls at work "the TV doesn't work" anymore!

Bob Hodas 08-25-2008 02:48 PM

Re: Setting Up a new system - Please Help

I use Harmony too. My wife can use it and that's all that matters to me. I don't need calls from home about the system not working when I'm tuning a room. I found it difficult to program but that was 3 years ago and I'm sure it's easier by now.

DGittings 09-11-2008 03:38 PM

Re: Setting Up a new system - Please Help

[QUOTE=itssimplyme65;17228]Hello All,

I have been waiting for a long time and my TV room is almost built. I am putting together a system and need a lot of help. I have been reading reviews and doing online research, however I am not sure what items to choose.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents on your speaker choice: The Jamo C80 series are the best in the price range that I have heard. The only problem is Jamo stopped making them because the cost to make them went up 25%. I listen to mine everyday at work I LOVE them. I know you will too! And I use a Yamaha RXV3800 and I just got their 2900 Blu-Ray player. Can't wait to fire it up. Thanks DrG