Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 07-14-2008   #13
wes

Cool Re: Neptune EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
You are probably right Jeremy, I hope HDMI stops evolving quickly and gets standardized faster! One thing that is missing from less than 1.3a however is the ability to do deep color, while not really an issue now, it can and likely will be in the future. Sure you could pass PCM to HDMI 1.1, but you can't do deep color when studios get their a$$e$ together and start to use it!
1.3 should be it. It pass deep color and is already good for all new codec DST-HD Master Audio and DD true HD so I think we should be good for the next five years or more

By the way even Sony 8K projector ($100,000) doesn't do deep color so I don't think we have to worry for at least five years or more.

As far as I am concern Blu Ray is good enough for me on a 2:35 10 feet wide screen for the next ten after that who knows may be holograms!!! using wireless.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #14

Where could the digital audio be tapped off of where it would include all source components? Granted they could make an EQ that has multiple HDMI inputs and outputs, one for each component and it could switch between them, but ultimately the pre-pro has analog outputs and the power amp has analog inputs.

Not all source components have HDMI. I wouldn't want to have to direct a user to switch audio sources in both an EQ AND a pre-pro. To EQ all channels for all sources simultaneously would require huge processor power.

The monitor output could carry the signal, but the power amps still have analog inputs. Maybe using the HDMI monitor signal for the input and analog outs?

I have had issues with HDMI connections, I wouldn't look forward to more of those, but doing this all in the digital domain has merit.

24/96 is good. For an extra A/D D/A conversion, I don't have an issue with it...
ken_more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #15

Default Re: Neptune EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
1.3 should be it. It pass deep color and is already good for all new codec DST-HD Master Audio and DD true HD so I think we should be good for the next five years or more

By the way even Sony 8K projector ($100,000) doesn't do deep color so I don't think we have to worry for at least five years or more.

As far as I am concern Blu Ray is good enough for me on a 2:35 10 feet wide screen for the next ten after that who knows may be holograms!!! using wireless.
Version 2.0 is about to be released to cover audio-only discs and digital radio. So while it won't effect most people, it is still an evolving HDMI / BD standard!

The Sony "4K" (8k is still a ways off) has always been capable of deep color, as are the 2k professional projectors made by Barco, Christie, and NEC.

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html

Last edited by The Kipnis Studios; 08-26-2008 at 03:59 PM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #16
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
Version 2.0 is about to be released to cover audio-only discs and digital radio. So while it won't effect most people, it is still an evolving HDMI / BD standard!
Why do you need HDMi 2.0 for Audio? HDMi 1.3 should be sufficient from what I understand
Old 08-27-2008   #17

Exclamation HDMI 2.0 Audio Only Formatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Why do you need HDMi 2.0 for Audio? HDMi 1.3 should be sufficient from what I understand
Because audio-only formats are on the way! This mandates (according to HDMI doctrine) a new standard where video information is absent. Many 1.3 and lower compatible components (like A/V receivers) might reject (or mute) the incoming bit stream if no video is present (as sometimes happens with BD, HD-DVD, HD Cable & Satellite when one changes channels or tracks).

To avoid any possible loss of signal, 2.0 includes a revised version of the platform specifically designed for audio (without video) on HDMI. This will become more common place as audio-only source components start using HDMI instead of SPDIF on coaxial or toslink!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html

Last edited by The Kipnis Studios; 08-27-2008 at 09:31 AM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #18
wes

Talking Re: Neptune EQ Or Professional EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
The question you have to ask yourself with Neptune is - is the audio difference from HDMI for your movies more impactful than tuning your speakers to your room. My money is - having had every room I have ever owned professionally tuned with EQ - that they EQ will make a bigger difference.

So I am planning to buy Classé SSP-800 would I be better off having it professionally adjusted for my room rather than buying Neptune EQ is what I hear? Yes?

Here is what Classé says about Automatic EQ

"As you know The SSP-800 is a ten-channel preamp/processor, offering both balanced and single-ended connections for all channels. Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is handled by a Texas Instruments-based platform which operates in 64-bit double precision. It uses floating point arithmetic for all audio signal calculations to ensure the most accurate results possible. All bass management filters, level adjustments and parametric filters also benefit from the added precision. To ensure the SSP-800 retains its value and competitive edge, the Classé Design Team has designed the DSP onto a replaceable module to accommodate a planned future upgrade.

Five-band parametric equalization is provided for each of the ten channels to help tune the system to its environment. Classé has elected to offer the system EQ as a manual feature. While several automated systems are available on the market, the complexity of room acoustics guarantees that no automatic system can achieve consistent, optimum results. Our experience is that the best results are obtained by combining measurements with human judgment. The filters used in the EQ are rendered accurately by our processor, which uses floating point arithmetic operating in 64-bit double-precision."

So should I forget automatic EQ and have a pro that is trained come to my home and optimize the system?
Sponsored Links

Tags
ad, ass, audio, bad, conversion, correction, dtc98, eq, integra, neptune, professional, review, room, sound, subwoofers, videos, wwwneptuneaudionet