Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 07-11-2008   #7

Default Re: Neptune EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFan View Post
Seems like all these 3rd party black box EQ solutions introduce another A-to-D then D-to-A conversion step. This one only does 24/96.

Shouldn't someone build an EQ solution that takes an HDMI 1.3 bitstream in and then does the decoding and processing all in the digital domain? Save one D-to-A conversion at the end.
It is all but impossible today to buy a receiver or pre/pro that does not have exactly this built in, plus it is much cheaper that way. I am most familiar with Audyssey in an Integra DTC 9.8, which I have had for about 8 months. It plus an Oppo 980H displaced reference-grade 2-channel components costing about 8x as much. Most of my use of it (85%) is with hi-rez multichannel music rather than movies or TV. I love it, and Audyssey is as great a technical advance as I have ever heard. It worked exceedingly well for for me from day 1.

Of all the equalization schemes out there, I am impressed with the credentials of only 2 of them: Audyssey and Anthem. I do not think all of the other proprietary schemes out there are backed with nearly the amount of research and experience with listener preferences that these 2 are. Audyssey is available in Denon, Integra, Onkyo, NAD and some Marantz models plus some speaker systems from Wisdom, Phase Technology and SVS. With Anthem, it is an option in their D2 pre/pro.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #8

You make an interesting point about HDMI 1.3 and the A/D - D/A issue however there isn't ONE high end company with it enough to have HDMI 1.3 working right in an AV preamp (exclusing Denon and Integra) let alone to do room correction on it.

The question you have to ask yourself with Neptune is - is the audio difference from HDMI for your movies more impactful than tuning your speakers to your room. My money is - having had every room I have ever owned professionally tuned with EQ - that they EQ will make a bigger difference.

Further down the road - I would bet that an HDMI 1.3 version would be reasonable. For now - its now. CEDIA this Sept will tell us a lot.
Old 07-13-2008   #9
wes

Cool Re: Neptune EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliFan View Post
Seems like all these 3rd party black box EQ solutions introduce another A-to-D then D-to-A conversion step. This one only does 24/96. Shouldn't someone build an EQ solution that takes an HDMI 1.3 bitstream in and then does the decoding and processing all in the digital domain? Save one D-to-A conversion at the end.
Excellent point this would be much better and have a lot less distortion.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #10

Technically, it is not difficult these days to take any of the new lossless formats from their orignial coding to PCM, which is passable through HDMI 1.0.

I find everyone's desire to find only HDMI 1.3 devices will only be exceeded when there is soon an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 that corrects the fallacies of the previous versions.

When CD came out in 1982, there were none of these problems - and when DVD came out in 1997 - there were none of these concerns. Now - What?

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
I find everyone's desire to find only HDMI 1.3 devices will only be exceeded when there is soon an HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 that corrects the fallacies of the previous versions.
You are probably right Jeremy,

I hope HDMI stops evolving quickly and gets standardized faster!

One thing that is missing from less than 1.3a however is the ability to do deep color, while not really an issue now, it can and likely will be in the future. Sure you could pass PCM to HDMI 1.1, but you can't do deep color when studios get their a$$e$ together and start to use it!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #12

Just more stuff to chew on and ponder.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
ad, ass, audio, bad, conversion, correction, dtc98, eq, integra, neptune, professional, review, room, sound, subwoofers, videos, wwwneptuneaudionet