Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 03-03-2008   #7

Default Re: Room Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
prerich,

Do you have much experience with these converters? I've seen them but never personally used them and have to wonder if something like my HD DVD player would like to pass through one of these....

I know HDMI has gotten much more reliable over time and with the final release of the standard, but am curious what your experience has been with HDM players and these converters.
P.S. It hasn't been verified by me personally but by others in the industry. I will email a few people and get a broader assestment. I have a friend in Virginia who just may be using these now (Para,CEDIA ect. certified) - I will give him a ring and see what he thinks.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #8

Even though I am starting to tear out the drywall, carpeting, and ceiling today, I plan on taking my time to get everything right, slow doesn't bother me, so long as there is some forward progress in meaningful way. Right away I have to resolve the speaker cable question, as a novice I am getting some pretty stiff sticker shock. I want to have the speaker cable, and any other cables ordered this week, once I know what lengths I will need.

I will look into the cat 6 option right away. All of my HDMI cables are monster cable they ran in the mid hundreds for 6' lenghts so I think those are all good, but of course I have to run around 25' fof HDMI from the pioneer to the JVC.

Ken,

Yeah I have been to homes that have the bass kickers and did not feel that they added to the experience, I think I may be better served to add the money to my overall spearker budget. I have heard about shackers which seems to be plate that moves the whole chair? That would annoy me in no time at all if that is the case.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Even though I am starting to tear out the drywall, carpeting, and ceiling today, I plan on taking my time to get everything right, slow doesn't bother me, so long as there is some forward progress in meaningful way. Right away I have to resolve the speaker cable question, as a novice I am getting some pretty stiff sticker shock. I want to have the speaker cable, and any other cables ordered this week, once I know what lengths I will need.
I would also suggest running at least 3" conduit through your walls if you have room in your budget - seeing how you are tearing out drywall. Conduit makes it much easier to install cable in your walls. Also, don't forget to leave a pull line in the conduit as you install, if you go the conduit route.

In my last home, I used 4-conductor Liberty speaker cable that was ~$1.00/ft. and it worked just fine. It was THX certified cable if that means anything to you (I personally don't care about it being THX, I've just seen THX mentioned a few times here.) I am not sure that they still make what I bought, but they do have good cable at good prices.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10

Thanks I will look into the Liberty as well as the cat 5 also mentioned, because the transparent reference is out of my price realm, that was shocking in terms of price and I would have to spend some time figuring out what makes it that way because if it is just marketing mumbo jumbo then I'll pass but if there is real reason then I will look into for the the future.

Yeah we are going with conduit for all the low voltage wireing and will leave pull chains in it, I am having that all done professionally so there should be little to no problems.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #11

I would second the advice to forego the Buttkickers. Add the amount you were going to spend on them to your subwoofer budget. You want to experience the film not a Disney ride.
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #12

When I built my Theater room I was forced to install my electronics (receiver, blu-ray/HD players, etc) in the rear of the room. It worked out fine, do have to point remotes to the rear, no big problem.

Cable quality I think can be somewhat misleading. I think some are over priced, while others work just a well!

I purchased two (2) sets of three attached chairs from Savvy Decorators, microfiber not leather to reduce my expense. $740 per set, I was worried about purcahsing without seeing them first. I was very pleased with the comfort and quality. This was one of my last purchases so I was running low on funds. They look good and serve the purpose. My room is only used for movies and special TV veiwing (sporting events, etc).

Good Luck
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bass, cat, cat5, ceiling, conversion, converter, hate, i, page, room, speaker, speakers, systems, tuning, wire