Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup-13/)
-   -   Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice (http://www.avrev.com/forum/room-acoustics-audio-system-setup/1428-basic-room-acoustics-need-advice.html)

esolecky 01-10-2008 04:54 PM

Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice

I have Revel F52's positioned about 2 ft from rear wall and about 3 ft from side walls. My room is fairly small and very open. About 16 ft wide and I am positioned about 6 feet away from them. I have no rear wall, the room continues into the kitchen. The sound is great except for one thing, when I cup my hands behind my ears while I am listening in the sweet spot the sounds comes alive even more. The harmonics and air seem to be taken to a higher level. I can't listen with my hands cupped behind my ears the whole time, does this effect have anything to do with have to sounds reflecting off the rear of me? Am i crazy? Please advise.

JerryDelColliano 01-19-2008 10:26 AM

Re: Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice

I don't think you are crazy as you have excellent taste in speakers.

Your room sounds pretty crazy however. Have you considered listening ONLY with your head in a vice? (just kidding)

I wonder if treating the ceiling for first order reflections would help focus your image more? Just a simple treatment on the ceiling with some soft materials?

If you want to get more specific - I would suggest you reach out to Bob Hodas (BobHodas.com) and hire him to do a simple room consulting session with you remotely. It couldn't cost $1000 but will help get you the most from your odd situation...

I hope this helps..

Sincerely,

Jerry

Lotus 01-21-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 9708)
I don't think you are crazy as you have excellent taste in speakers.

Your room sounds pretty crazy however. Have you considered listening ONLY with your head in a vice? (just kidding)

I wonder if treating the ceiling for first order reflections would help focus your image more? Just a simple treatment on the ceiling with some soft materials?

If you want to get more specific - I would suggest you reach out to Bob Hodas (BobHodas.com) and hire him to do a simple room consulting session with you remotely. It couldn't cost $1000 but will help get you the most from your odd situation...

I hope this helps..

Sincerely,

Jerry

Weird I swore I replied to this guy after looking at pictures of the room.

There are Ceiling panels you can buy that don't look too bad. The real solution would be a curtain if his wife would let him.

JerryDelColliano 01-25-2008 09:39 PM

Echobusters are VERY AFFORDABLE but are pretty basic looking.

RPGs, like I use, get expensive. I put mine behind a fabric wall.

Bob Hodas 02-05-2008 12:18 PM

Read my How To's in the archives and they may help you with a solution. From what you describe I would put up a curtain to isolate the kitchen reverb. Put it on a pull rod so you can tie it back and out of the way when you are just living.
Bob Hodas