Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup

Room Acoustics & Audio System Setup No one factor impacts the sound of your system more. Ask questions and share advice on room treatments, room tuning and acoustics here.

Old 04-30-2008   #25

Default Re: Audyssey Announces Dynamic Volume

No question their design is excellent. Some of the best looking gear I have ever seen. But, a company like Rives Audio, does a superb job with room correction. Sure, it costs more, but to me, if you really want to do this, that is the way to go. Rather than wait, hope, or depend on companies to do what you think they should do.
Their will always be some, that for whatever reason, will not join the dance.

Like THX, while I think its very good, its obvious not all the other companies think so.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #26
wes

Cool Re: Audyssey Announces Dynamic Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
No question their design is excellent. Some of the best looking gear I have ever seen. But, a company like Rives Audio, does a superb job with room correction. Sure, it costs more, but to me, if you really want to do this, that is the way to go. Rather than wait, hope, or depend on companies to do what you think they should do. Their will always be some, that for whatever reason, will not join the dance. Like THX, while I think its very good, its obvious not all the other companies think so.
Next time I move and buy a new home, I will have Rives Audio design my home theater, I think it would be money well spent rather than EQ. In the mean time I might give their gear a try!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #27

Rives is a terriffic company from all I hear, and if I could afford it, I would do the same with new construction. But, guess what: Rives uses treatments plus equalization, however their equalizer only deals with bass frequencies. Standard Audyssey does mid frequencies, as well. With Audyssey Pro, mid-range equalization is selectable on/of. Both Audyssey or Rives have their strengths and weaknesses and limits to how much they can really do in each individual situation, and neither, of couse, is perfect. Nothing is.

Full Rives consultation does not come cheap, but I do not beleve there are any cheap solutions out there to the difficult problem of room correction, except for Audyssey already built into a receiver or pre-pro. Perhaps Rives alone is sufficient. Or, maybe Audyssey can further improve a full Rives treatment, who knows? But, I much prefer equalization (which is always digital these days) were the signal remains in the digital domain from source through pre-pro and equalizer. Rives' equalizer is analog input, as is the Audyssey stand-alone. So, possibly Audyssey equalization bult into my pre-pro with a Rives treated room would be the creme-de-la-creme.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008   #28

Smile Re: Audyssey Announces Dynamic Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcaraldo215 View Post
Rives is a terriffic company from all I hear, and if I could afford it, I would do the same with new construction. But, guess what: Rives uses treatments plus equalization, however their equalizer only deals with bass frequencies. Standard Audyssey does mid frequencies, as well. With Audyssey Pro, mid-range equalization is selectable on/of. Both Audyssey or Rives have their strengths and weaknesses and limits to how much they can really do in each individual situation, and neither, of couse, is perfect. Nothing is.

Full Rives consultation does not come cheap, but I do not beleve there are any cheap solutions out there to the difficult problem of room correction, except for Audyssey already built into a receiver or pre-pro. Perhaps Rives alone is sufficient. Or, maybe Audyssey can further improve a full Rives treatment, who knows? But, I much prefer equalization (which is always digital these days) were the signal remains in the digital domain from source through pre-pro and equalizer. Rives' equalizer is analog input, as is the Audyssey stand-alone. So, possibly Audyssey equalization bult into my pre-pro with a Rives treated room would be the creme-de-la-creme.
Sounds like audio nirvana to me!!
Old 05-01-2008   #29

Thumbs up Re: Audyssey Announces Dynamic Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Next time I move and buy a new home, I will have Rives Audio design my home theater, I think it would be money well spent rather than EQ. In the mean time I might give their gear a try!
A great idea. I read one of their testomonials about a job they did for a very high end 2 channel system. They did a complete and very thorough job, and the client was extremely happy. And Rives now does have different levles of service, depending on your income level.
Old 05-01-2008   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
A digital path already exist look at Meridian, I am not enamored about their stuff I think it looks really cheap but they are digital.

I wished Classé got it's act together may be the SSP-800 once it is upgraded with the new codec will be a stllar performer. Their design is fantastic
I actually had the Meridian in mind as a prototype of what I am talking about, and I like the initiative they have taken. But, Meridian does not go far enough and it's proprietary and boutiquey, so it's way, way too expensive. Digital that uses open or inexpensively licensed standards is what I had in mind. When that happens, as we have seen with PC's, the price comes tumbling down even as the performance increases. Meridian's approach is, I believe, 96/24 PCM only, so no bitstream. Plus, their speakers are active, but with analog amps. I believe we will see digital amps come to fruition, and we are going to need them to deal with future energy consumption issues vs. less efficient analog amps.
fitzcaraldo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aftermarket, arc, audyssey, channel, d2, def, dynamic, equalizer, leveling, pro, receivers, review, system, tech, volume