Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Remotes & System Control (http://www.avrev.com/forum/remotes-system-control-37/)
-   -   What do you expect from a stock remote? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/remotes-system-control/704-what-do-you-expect-stock-remote.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-14-2007 08:46 PM

What do you expect from a stock remote?

Many of our reviewers TRASH products with lame, non-backlit remotes.

Do you think that cutting costs is worth it when it comes to the remote on say a receiver or an HD disc player or should the remote be bettert than average?

For me, I think the remotes need to be fully functional. Note the new Epson home theater in a box (and I mean a projector, receiver, speakers, drop down screen and everything) for $7,000 comes with the same handheld remote I use from Crestron. Its pretty sweet. Good hard buttons. Good feel. Backlit. Others use the same remote. I think Sherwood does too.

Personally, I think you should demand a good remote but some argue for the cost of a Hamony Remote (less than 200 these days) who cares.

What says you?

kennyt 09-15-2007 04:56 AM

Re: What do you expect from a stock remote?

I am frequently critical of remotes in my reviews, and for good reason. Many stock remotes suck! Poor lay out, no backlighting, incomprehensibly difficult programming and limited utility all spring to mind.

I want a remote that has several thing;

1) Logically laid out keys with palpable transport buttons and volume channel so I donít need to look for them
2) Discreet IR commands for EVERYTHING!!! Power at a minimum.
3) Backlighting.
4) Ease of programming
5) One thing I donít like is high end companies seem to feel they built their super high end component to the best of standards, and it is heavy, so they make the remote brick heavy as well! My remote doesnít need to be able to double as a weapon!

I strongly agree with you on the Harmony remotes (why I own four of them.) The Marantz SR8001 I just finished reviewing does have a really good remote with it and something I had to praise Marantz for, while it is not as easy to program as a Harmony, it isnít too bad and was very useful. I programmed my bedroom system in a short time and it worked well for controlling that system. I would not have wanted to program it to control my reference rig however.

KT

deacongreg 09-15-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 2842)

Many of our reviewers TRASH products with lame, non-backlit remotes.

Do you think that cutting costs is worth it when it comes to the remote on say a receiver or an HD disc player or should the remote be bettert than average?

For me, I think the remotes need to be fully functional. Note the new Epson home theater in a box (and I mean a projector, receiver, speakers, drop down screen and everything) for $7,000 comes with the same handheld remote I use from Crestron. Its pretty sweet. Good hard buttons. Good feel. Backlit. Others use the same remote. I think Sherwood does too.

Personally, I think you should demand a good remote but some argue for the cost of a Hamony Remote (less than 200 these days) who cares.

What says you?

I think I started a thread a little while back on back lighting. Or, should i say the lack thereof of back lighting. That is my biggest gripe, complaint, whatever you want to call it. Its amazing to me, that the one piece that will get the most use, provided everything else is wired and installed properly, is thought about the least. Truly amazing!!

spearl8 01-02-2008 04:48 PM

I think reviewers are way too picky about remotes. Whenever I get a new piece of equipment I immediately program my universal remote so who really cares how the stock remote is when I never even touch it? Yeah some remotes are more ergonomic than others, but I think most people with a home theater have a universal. The only gripe I have is that the frequency for my linn unidisk 1.1 gets picked up by my krell hts 7.1 and sometimes gets screwy.

JerryDelColliano 01-02-2008 04:52 PM

I think remotes are pretty important as they are the chosen interface for the component.

I let my staff BLAST companies who don't think you deserve a backlit remote for a $3,000 receiver.

kennyt 01-02-2008 07:03 PM

spearl8,

I agree to some extent, I too use all universal remotes for my systems, and it would quite frankly be almost impossible to get the wife or step kids to use either system without them (not to mention my coffee table isn't big enough for all the remotes in the main room!) BUT I must say a remote IS important. This is a point that many companies miss, If you buy a $2,000 receiver, the remote should be able to control all your gear effectively, to date the only one that did a great job at this (after you learn the programming tech) has been the Marantz SSR8001, which uses their own universal remote.

I absolutely love my Teac Esoteric DV-50s for music, but the remote for that thing is so clunky and heavy I thought I broke the glass on my end tables more than once from it.