Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 05-23-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

Read the full review at

http://www.avrev.com/equip/logitech_remote/index.html

and post your comments and questions here in this thread. Subscribe to a thread to be informed when other AVRev.com readers post their comments and questions.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #2

Talking Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

I've owned several "Universal" remotes from Radio Shack specials to Sony's RMAX 4000, the ease of use ranged from barely acceptable to just OK & user friendly wasn't even a factor!!

A couple of them were susposed able to use "Macros", I say susposed because I could never figure out how to set them up.
After trying for weeks to make the Sony do what I wanted I went back to the dealer to ask questions, I was told for $200 (which was more than I paid for it) they would set it up for me....I passed!
I eventually used it like all the other remotes, push the reciever button & choose the input, push the TV button & turn it on & choose an input, choose the DirecTV button & choose a channel, then go back to reciever to change the volume, not exactly what I wanted but I did only have 1 remote now & I did eventually figgure out how to put descrete input codes for my TV on it.

When the buttons started sticking & needing multiple pushes I decided to replace it, I actually thought about getting another Sony remote because I "knew" how to use them, after doing some research I decided to give the Harmony 880 a try.

I fully expected to just use the devive settings just like the Sony because I didn't think I could setup the activities.
After getting all my devices in it I thought what the Hell lets give it a shot, after a little while the thing actually worked, I was amazed!

Click watch DirecTV & the TV turns on & goes to the correct input, the reciever goes to the correct input, I can change channels & have acess to the menu, guide & everything else on my DirecTV HR20 & can control the volume on my reciever, in other words it works exactly like it's susposed to!!

I did have to call Harmony once when I got stuck but they fixed me up quickly.

The only thing I wish the 880 would do is control my PS3 (Blutooth).
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #3

Default Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

I have to agree with you Moose, I currently have almost all of the Harmony remotes in my house including the 659,880,890, and now the 1000. I have recomended them to countless people and noone I know hasn't been able to get them to work for them. The help feature is great for the wife and kids too as it walks them through fixing any potential drop outs.

For me who swaps gear in and out of my system on at least a monthly basis, they allow me quick changes to mate with the new gear. When I first got a 659 years ago, none of the gear I had was in their list (Linn AV5103, Esoteric DV-50) not only did they get the codes for the Linn almost immediately, they got a discrete on/off which Linn themselves swear doesn't exist for that piece!

I think these are the best bang for the buck remotes going. I would love to have the likes of AMX or Creston, but can't make the leap when I get so close with these. The newer ones with RF are just so beautiful!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #4

Thumbs up Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

One of the things that struck me about this remote is once it's set up it is so simple to control my system.

This remote is so easy I just bought another one from Amazon to give to my Dad on Fathers day.
I believe that once I set it up my Dad & even my Mom will be able to operate their home theatre with only this remote.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #5

Ah Moose....

You are a wise man!!!

With the exception of the 'next level' of remotes which are the likes of Creston, AMX, Control 4 etc... you don't get 100% functionality..... the Harmony's allow you to have a step of 'help' for the lesser inclined in the household to solve the issue saving you the call "Honey, why won't the #$%@^%#^& work??? and troubleshooting over the phone while I am at work!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #6

the only dislikes i have really isn't a 880 dislike. i like the 880 but i really dislike the programming interface. its clunky and not very well thought out. the other dislike is with logitech themselves. i hate the way they make changes to the remote interface, removing and adding functionality at their whim without notification to the end users. most recent enhancements actually removed functionality. it appears as though they don't even test their updates before releasing them. we are beta testers for them. but i love the 880!
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
525, 880, button, change, code, control, directv, forum, harmony, logitech, remote, setup, sticks, tvs, universal, updates, volume