Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 06-26-2007   #13

Cool Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

Well it's been over a week since I gave my Dad an 880 for fathers day, it seems to be a success, I've only gotten 1 call about trouble & walked them thru the help menu & fixed it right up.
My parents (Ages 65 & 67) are actually listening to the surround receiver when watching TV & DVD's (which they never did before) because it is so easy to do now with 1 button push.
If that's not a glowing review for the 880 I don't know what is!
"The Harmony 880, so simple that grandparents can use it"!

I do need to make a trip over to add some buttons they use that I didn't put in on the inital set up but that's a piece of cake with the 880 so no problem.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #14

Default Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

Well, I'm been using Harmony remotes for the past few years. While they work great, this only seams to be the case while the warranty is in effect. Each remote that I have had, from the 680 to the 880, has been replaced numerous times. The devices just don't stand up to the test of time (or a 6 year old son). My current 880 just went belly up. The display works, it acts like its sending out codes, but none of my gear responds. I've had to go back to the original remotes until I can get this one replaced at another $250.

With all of that said, I recently contacted a Crestron/AMX dealer/installer recommended by Jerry Del Colliano. I was informed that no one makes a ruggedized remote cabable of withstanding the torments of a 6 year old, and with the price of a Crestron or AMX system being what it is, I could buy 40 Harmonys for the price of 1 Crestron.

Guess I'll be heading back to Best Buy.
mmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #15

Lightbulb Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyers View Post
I've had to go back to the original remotes until I can get this one replaced at another $250.

Guess I'll be heading back to Best Buy.
Save yourself some $$$, it's $142.60 with free shipping at Amazon.

There isn't many things that can stand up to a 6 year old!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #16

mmeyers,

I suspect Moose is right, there aren't many things that can stand up to a six year old, (I assume it's a son), sorry to hear about your reliability issues, I have a Harmony 659,880,890 and the 1000 and the 659 is at least 4-5 years old and still functions perfectly. In fact I have never had a technical problem with ANY of their remotes since buying the 659.

Moose is right though, they are a lot cheaper on Amazon and come with free shipping, so I would go there unless you plan on using the 'Best Buy 30 day loan period' 'nough said...

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #17
Banned

I use the harmonys on most jobs that I do. My favorite one is the 550. I like the looks and the button layout. They are limited on the more custom jobs. I use URC for those. For the job that they do at that that price they can't be beat. The help button is the best, very few phone calls and very happy clients.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #18

What is the next model down from the 880 that has most of the functionality but is a little cheaper?
wazzzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
525, 880, button, change, code, control, directv, forum, harmony, logitech, remote, setup, sticks, tvs, universal, updates, volume