Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 06-06-2007   #7

Default Re: Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote Control

Strutter,

I have been using Hramony remotes for the last few years, and I think the newest version (I want to say 7) of the software is the cleanest interface yet. All the advanced features are still there, and I have never had any functionality losses with any upgrades. Could you be more specific anbout what went out when you upgraded?

The only problem I have with the 880 is a delay in sending the 'play' which makes scanning through DVR's difficult.

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #8

kenny, first let me start out by saying harmony customer service has been very helpful in trying to resolve all these issues (tier 2 anyway) and acknowledges that these issues are bugs resulting from their updates to the software.

#1. they took away the ability to have the favorites on the remotes while they updated the code for all the remotes. That took about 3 months and was finally restored in December 2006.

2.in April 2007, they took away the multiple mapping to a single key.example send a lighting command to raise and lower the lights when you hit pause and play while watching a DVD.(this feature is listed in the user guide) this was changed with an update where in they made it possible to add commands to an activity without those commands propagating across all activities with those devices.(i welcomed this change but not the bugs that came with it). in the software under "adjust inputs" for the direct method, there is no longer a provision to send more than one command.

below is the response i got from logitech via e-mail:

Logitech recently released a number of enhancements to the setup and customization software, which are intended to improve the customer experience by simplifying existing functionality. One major change that was made involved the customization of both physical and custom labeled buttons (LCD commands). This change has ensured that customers can specify the name and location of a command on the Harmony screen.
In order to deliver this first phase of enhancements it has been necessary to remove the functionality that allows a customer to assign multiple commands to a single button press. However, we do plan to re-introduce a refined version this functionality, which is currently scheduled for release by the end of July 2007. In the interim, the on-line user manual will be corrected to reflect current functionality.
On behalf of Logitech I do apologize for any inconvenience that this temporary loss of functionality may have caused you.
Regards,

with their history it will probably be more like September instead of the quoted July.

3.for awhile every time they updated the software somehow i would loose all my custom configurations. i believe this to be fixed but I'm not sure as i haven't updated or made any changes to the remote for a few months.

4.with another update they changed the user interface so that all customizations take place in a tiny frame embedded in the web page, you cant use the full height of the browser. I'm forced to scroll up and down with only about 12 buttons visible and you can no longer print the whole page, if you try you only get the frame and the few buttons that are visible.

5.most recently favorites list the channel number with the icon on the remote, used to just be the icon. these icons are already low rez. the number screws up the image more. and there is no where in the software to remove the channel number . logitech says they will add that to the software this month.

none of these changes were announced, there is nowhere to find what changes are made to software before using it. and its a forced update with no choice to retain a previous version. as soon as you start the program it searches for updates. then you get a popup over the girls face that says:
"The logitech harmony remote software has found an update that must be installed before you continue setting up the remote. do you want to continue?"
0 Yes, and do NOT ask permission everytime
0 Yes, but ask for permission everytime
0 No. (the remote control software will close)

so pretty much you accept the update or you cant make any changes to the remote.

like i said i really love the remote itself. but, If you are a tweaker who tends to update the remote quite frequently, you will find that over the course of a year there is a good chance that all of your functions and features will never all work at the same time. What feature they will disable next?

im sure newer harmony users won't notice most of these issues, they dont know what they dont have.

Last edited by Strutter; 06-10-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #9

Strutter,

Thanks for the update, I see your point. Let me address these by number to keep it in order....

1) I for one do not use the Favorites... never have, doubt I will. If you use a provider that switches your channel #'s frequently I know how important that can be, but I do not use such a service so I never became aware of these issues.

2) I knew of the multiple mapping, I too was sad to lose that, but must admit I used it for novelty more than true function.

3) I have never had any issue with any of my customizations changing with software or firmware updates, and have had some of their remotes for years.

4) While I see your point with the newer versions of the software and shortening the customization of buttons screen, I was so much more pleased with the rest of the interface that this wasn't even noticed by me. I like how now they show you what devices are in each activity and that they reflect the names I have assigned them rather than just DVD2

5) See 1

You are right about the software updates, but I suspect it would become rather cumbersome for them to support each and every prior version so that is why it is done.

You might want to chack, the new version 7.3.0.15 is out just a few days ago... MIGHT have some fixes for you... then again with the luck you've had, maybe not!

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #10

I have a few issues with the Logitech Harmony 880:

- can't get a Sony SXRD TV's inputs to be properly programmed into the unit
The component video input no. 6 on the back of the TV doesn't seen to be on the online choice during the programming steps for the remote
- can't setup multiple remotes under one user profile

I have two remotes in my home, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. But I found that I had to setup two different user profiles on the members.harmony.com website in order to program the remote independent of each other.

My wife still swears by the ease-of-use for the typical Comcast remote. It taking me weeks to get her to just try and use the Harmony 880 remote. I hope to fully convert her soon.

HiTech Upgrades.com
clinthicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #11

I didn't have any problems setting up input 6 (which was on the online set up choices) on both my 70" XBR2 SXRD & the remote I setup yesterday for my Dad's 50" XBR1 SXRD.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007   #12

i had no problems either. one thing i did have to do. some where along the set up sequence it will have a list of inputs for the TV and ask if this is correct. when i set mine up there was a couple that was wrong and one that was missing. apparently someone had been messing and changed it. go back through and check that this page is correct. with Harmony's database consisting largely of user supplied configurations these things could get changed.
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
525, 880, button, change, code, control, directv, forum, harmony, logitech, remote, setup, sticks, tvs, universal, updates, volume