Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Remotes & System Control (http://www.avrev.com/forum/remotes-system-control-37/)
-   -   Does anyone use Marantz or Prontos anymore? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/remotes-system-control/469-does-anyone-use-marantz-prontos-anymore.html)

AudioGuy2007 08-15-2007 07:03 PM

Does anyone use Marantz or Prontos anymore?

I have an old skool Marantz "Pronto" like remote with a black and white screen and I wonder if it's worth learning how to program or should I just get a Slim Devices/Logitech? Any thoughts?

Im also missing the uplink cable for it so it would be pointless to sell unless someone out there is willing to sell me just the cable.

ScottV 08-16-2007 09:56 PM

Re: Does anyone use Marantz or Prontos anymore?

I still use my original Pronto 1000. The nicad rechargables are shot though so I'm using regular AAs but they last pretty long. They aren't hard to program - just a button for button matchup with the original remotes. The downlink cable is just for creating custom screens on your computer with their software and then downloading it to the remote. If you have the Pronto 2000 (animated screens) it does have downloadable profiles and some are built in - I have one of these too but I never set it up because it goes through batteries much faster than the 1000 and the animation just slows operations down. I tend to collect remotes looking for the perfect remote - haven't found it yet. I have a Sony ES receiver that uses a special frequency that no universal will match.

Scott

kennyt 08-17-2007 03:56 AM

ScottV,

Have you tried the Harmonmy remotes?? I use them for all my systems and have yet to find something they can't control, and they are the easiest to set up of any I've used. I too had been on a quest for the best universal, I started with the Pronto's, Theater Masters, RS Cameleon, Sony.... etc.

Once I bought my Harmony 659 several years ago, I was hooked. I now have their 659,880, and both the 890 and 1000 with RF extenders just so I no longer have to deal with line of sight issues from IR. They work great and with the exception of my 1000 crapping out the other day (Harmony has already mailed me a replacement) I have never had an issue with these remotes in the last four or five years.

KT

Butch 08-17-2007 08:56 AM

My Marantz SR-19 came with Their RC2000 Universal remote which I was pretty impressed with until Harmony broke the scene. Spring for a Harmony and you'll never look back

ScottV 08-21-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 2010)
ScottV,

Have you tried the Harmonmy remotes?? I use them for all my systems and have yet to find something they can't control, and they are the easiest to set up of any I've used. I too had been on a quest for the best universal, I started with the Pronto's, Theater Masters, RS Cameleon, Sony.... etc.

Once I bought my Harmony 659 several years ago, I was hooked. I now have their 659,880, and both the 890 and 1000 with RF extenders just so I no longer have to deal with line of sight issues from IR. They work great and with the exception of my 1000 crapping out the other day (Harmony has already mailed me a replacement) I have never had an issue with these remotes in the last four or five years.

KT

I have an 880 but haven't set it up yet. I just got a new Samsung 1080 LCD so this might be the time to try it out to see if it'll work with the Sony receiver - might just be time to upgrade the receiver - it's getting a little old but still works great. I was checking out the 1000 at BB and it looks neat. I get my remotes at Ecost.com - much cheaper than buying local.

Scott

kennyt 08-22-2007 03:27 AM

Scotty,

I reviewed the Harmony 1000 in this months issue of AVRev.com, it's an amazing remote. FWIW I use it in my bedroom and use an 890 (the 880 with RF capabilities) in my reference rig, I like the hard buttons better for a complicated system that is in a darker room, especially when it comes to transport buttons. With the 1000 you need to look at the screen. I have ameliorated this by using the lowest two hard buttons for FF and Play for my DVR, this gets me through 90% of the time in scanning.

Either way you go, if your components aren't in an easy line of sight, the RF extender is AWESOME!!! But with the 1000 you must buy it separately, the 890 includes it. I also have an 880 and 659, they are all excellent remotes and easy to program. My 1000 stopped working due to a software issue, but while it was down I simply added the 890 to my account and had it controlling the bedroom in under five minutes!

I would also encourage you to check Amazon, I beleive they are the cheapesty for these remotes.