Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 02-02-2008   #19

Default Re: Is Harmony's new 1000 remote a good alternative to AMX and Crestron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
This looks really interesting. Have you used this yet?
It does look like what I'm looking for.
I need to give a local dealer a call.
Yes, and I'm having a very elaborate system put into my new home that is being constructed. The system is capable of some really sophisticated stuff even if the "layout," is non-customizable. That doesn't bother me that much because the system that they have in place is very intuitive. It's like if Apple created a home automation system.

The cool thing is if you pay for the at home software you don't have to pay some company to come install your new BD player or Receiver for instance. You can just plug it into your system yourself and add it with the software.

The sweet retro work is you can add their light switches and dimmers to your house without rewiring anything.

It was down to Crestron or Control4 for me and I just couldn't justify the extra cost for basically customizable interfaces.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #20

Default Re: Is Harmony's new 1000 remote a good alternative to AMX and Crestron?

Lotus,

So who did you decide to use for your new home? Congratulations by the way. I hope you and your family will enjoy it.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Lotus,

So who did you decide to use for your new home? Congratulations by the way. I hope you and your family will enjoy it.
Control4. However I'm integrating some HTPCs into the equation all running Control4 software (which may be breaking some rules with Control4). The system will be a combination of Martin Logan, Avalon Acoustics, Sonus Faber, and PSB speakers through out the house with PSB supplying the in-ceiling speakers and Martin Logan In-Walls in certain rooms. The electronics will be a combination of Bel Canto/Arcam in the HT (but the Arcam will get replaced with the Meridian 8 series version/equivelent of the new tech whenever that day comes), Arcam/NAD for whole home audio distribution (Arcam Music Server and Two NAD M25 amps), and NAD/Outlaw Audio for the Master Bedroom 5.1 system (with Martin Logan speakers) and NAD/Outlaw Audio for the Game Room 5.1 system with Martin Logan in-walls and on-walls for the speakers.

Key Digital is providing the Video Switching using both HDMI switchers and Component. My entire DVD collection, BD and HD DVD collection will be distributable via the Control4 remote/touchpads throughout the house. I'm also going to have multiple DiSH HD-DVRs that can be viewed from any room with a TV in the house.

As well as temperature control, lighting, security (cams etc), sprinkler system, pool/spa heating system, etc. all controlled by the Control4 system.

It's basically as powerful as any truly high end Crestron system but without the "Customized Screens," with button layouts I approve of. I'm really comfortable with the Control4 layout. In fact I'd say the Control4 ease of use is very Apple-like. I'm extremely familiar with the Crestron systems and their pricing. This system is being done for about 33% of the cost of a Crestron system doing the exact same thing.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #22

Lotus,

Does the Control4 system allow user programming, i.e. end user programming software instead of paying for a dealer to program any little change (new component, new features)? Are you happy with your choice? I was quoted the RTI system with a T4 tablet remote. I am not familiar with anyone who has used this system, and it seems that it may also require custom programming from the dealer. Thanks.
docjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #23

Default xxxxxx

xxxxx
hedePrefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #24

oh, I think Harmony will really win the market.
keke007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
alternative, amx, cheap, control, costs, crestron, florida, harmony, programing, programming, remote, remotes, rf, universal, works