Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 03-08-2008   #1

Cool Using an iPod as a remote control!

I found a way to control my Denon 3808ci anywhere in my house without needing to get the Denon RF remote.
My iPod Touch can control it!
As long as it's connected to my home WiFi I have complete control over my receiver!
I saved the Denon web controller as an icon on the main page of my iPod & when I click it it goes to the web controller.

From that page I can go to all the control pages for the Denon.

Denon has an online capability that allows it to be controlled not just by a iPod but your PDA or any smart phone that has WiFi internet.
I don't know what other equipment has an online interface but this may be an inexpensive way to control you equipment if you do not have line of sight or RF.

Last edited by TheMoose; 03-08-2008 at 11:08 AM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #2

Smile Re: Using an iPod as a remote control!

That is really cool that Denon has made it possible to let you use your own WiFi device to control their product. I was actually discussing with a friend about 6-8 months ago how great it would be if you could use an iPod or iPhone as a remote control since it is usually close by. Also, they booth have good backlighting unlike a lot of remotes.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #3

Default Re: Using an iPod as a remote control!

The UPnP/DLNA (Universal Plug-and-Play/Digital Living Network Alliance) set of standards define connectivity and interoperability methods for networked consumer electronic devices. The new Denon receivers, including your 3808ci, comply with these standards. The iPod Touch control interface you discovered is a web interface that is a control method supported by those standards. You could control that receiver through any suitable browser connected to the same network. There are several other DLNA-compliant devices on the market (check out www.dlna.org for a list of tested devices), but, for some unknown reason, this compliance isn't touted in their marketing. You should be able to control any compliant device in your home through your iPod Touch or any other suitable browser.
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #4

Question Re: Using an iPod as a remote control!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyD View Post
The UPnP/DLNA (Universal Plug-and-Play/Digital Living Network Alliance) set of standards define connectivity and interoperability methods for networked consumer electronic devices. The new Denon receivers, including your 3808ci, comply with these standards. The iPod Touch control interface you discovered is a web interface that is a control method supported by those standards. You could control that receiver through any suitable browser connected to the same network. There are several other DLNA-compliant devices on the market (check out www.dlna.org for a list of tested devices), but, for some unknown reason, this compliance isn't touted in their marketing. You should be able to control any compliant device in your home through your iPod Touch or any other suitable browser.
I checked out that web site & it showed the Sony playstation 3 as one of the DLNA devices, but when I use the PS3 url it does not open up a web controller, it doesn't open up any page at all just a problem loading page screen.
Should I be able to control my PS3 the same way I do my Denon since it's listed?
Old 03-11-2008   #5

I can't say that I'm an expert on UPnP/DLNA, although I'm certainly excited by the possibilities. Also, implementation of these standards is in its infancy, and it's not clear to me what is meant by "DLNA Certified". I don't know, for example, that inclusion of a web page for control is a requirement or an option. Here's a Sony site I found that might offer some guidance - http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...lient-feature/. I'd be very intested to hear the results of your experiments.
CharlyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlyD View Post
I can't say that I'm an expert on UPnP/DLNA, although I'm certainly excited by the possibilities. Also, implementation of these standards is in its infancy, and it's not clear to me what is meant by "DLNA Certified". I don't know, for example, that inclusion of a web page for control is a requirement or an option. Here's a Sony site I found that might offer some guidance - http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...lient-feature/. I'd be very intested to hear the results of your experiments.
OK I was looking for a web page like the Denon has but according to that link I'm already using the DLNA function of my PS3 by having it function as the client & my computer as the server.
I can access all the media (Pictures, music & videos) that is on my computers hard drive & display it on my TV or listen to it on my Denon.
I can also do the same thing with my Denon (it can also stream internet radio) & my DirecTV HR20-700 HD-DVR but I can only control the Denon on a web page, the PS3 & the HR20 have to be controlled by their on screen displays.
My wireless router has a web control page I can access with my iTouch also, but that's not as cool as being able to control my receiver that way!

If all these companies started integrating a web control to everything it would make setting up a whole house control much easier & cheaper by using WiFi instead of a high end remote like a Crestron, no wiring needed & all you need is the IP address of your equipment & a wiFi device like an iPod, smart phone or tablet.

Last edited by TheMoose; 03-11-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, control, dlna, home, homeasp, http192168254, ipod, itouch, ps3, remote, system, touch, universal, video, youch