Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 03-18-2008   #37

Default Re: Considering moving from the MX500 to a Harmony One

I was thinking about upgrading my review of this thing to a 7. But, this morning I decided to rearrange the commands for my receiver because the default arrangement sucks. After about 20 minutes of moving 10 pages of commands I clicked DONE and the next thing I see is a message telling me my connection timed out and that I should log back in. So I did and guess what? Everything that I had just done was gone. This thing does a lot of good things, in fact, more good than bad, but the things that are bad are really bad. The whole idea of having to connect to the internet in order to do something as minor as rearrange a few commands make little sense to me.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #38

Default Re: Considering moving from the MX500 to a Harmony One

Butch: The reason you have to connect to the internet is, obviously, that the programming for your remote is server based. To empower the chip in the remote to do all the functions would be prohibitively expensive and impossibly complex. Logitech does not pick and choose which of several tasks a consumer might want to perform to leave off the server and empower without a connection. Economy requires some streamlining, and Logitech chose to streamline by leaving your program on the server.

If you want to be able to do a lot at home, buy a Crestron and then spend a year learning to program it.

Happy Camper
Eternal Upgrade Addict
Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
activity, add, button, cd, denon, freezes, freezing, harmony, key, logitech, mx500, power, programming, remote, screen, soft, vinyl