Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Remotes & System Control

Remotes & System Control Share success with programming your remote, codes and more.

Old 03-14-2008   #25

Default Re: Considering moving from the MX500 to a Harmony One

Funny as Harmony says you can have 256 steps and or controls per device...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Funny as Harmony says you can have 256 steps and or controls per device...
Perhaps as long as they are native to the device. I think that the issue with the Denon 3808ci is the different modes that it as to be in: Tuner, XM, iNet, USB. I had to learn A-G, 0-9, and several others (+/-, big +/-, preset +/-, search, memory, mode, shift) for each.

Anywho, after the marathon session this morning, things seem to be working smoothly at home with my equipment. I think I'll keep it.

The tech support guy also indicated that a massive re-write of the software/firmware was underway to address most of the issues that I, and others, have ranted about.

Time will tell. I do feel that Harmony is very responsive to user issues. That goes a long way towards making me keep this remote.
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
Kenny: My point exactly! The ability of Harmony to get these codes and add functionality to existing components is a big plus for me.

Along the same lines, Harmony support was able to code our Harmony 880 to recognize the remote coding for four different TiVo based DirecTV receivers in our house, each seperately remote coded 1-4, but otherwise all working off the same remote codes, so that the Harmony can use an RF repeater to control each seperately. No other integrated remote except the $$$$ Crestron could do that, and we rejected the Crestron because of expense, and because it was too hard for the homeowner to program if we got a new component.

Harmony is not perfect, but it does some things very well. This is one of those things.
I have nothing but good things to say about Harmony remotes & their customer service!
On the few occasions I needed help they were quick to come up with an answer.
I set up a 880 for my parents & they know almost nothing about tech, all of their HT is pretty much my hand-me-downs but they really like the 880.

I looked at the Harmony One as an upgrade for my 880 but decided it wasn't enough of a change to be worth it to me, now if they had added bluetooth, well I'd have been on that like a frog on a June bug!!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #28

Moose, what about some of the IR to Blu-tooth adaptors I've seen for working the PS3? Have you looked into any of these?
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Moose, what about some of the IR to Blu-tooth adaptors I've seen for working the PS3? Have you looked into any of these?
Yea I checked them out, they will control the PS3 but they can't turn it off!!
So I have 2 remotes on my table, the 880 & the PS3 Blu-Ray remote.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #30

Uhhgg. I have a Harmony. It replaced my old Phillips which the infant daughter bathed in my mug of coffee. I wish I had bought another Phillips (Pronto). There's a plethora of codes and tweaks (discreet and otherwise) at Remote Central. ProntoEdit rocks. Macros would circumvent all your concerns about zones and power on/off's. Perhaps the new Logitech Harmony 1000 is better, but the online interface just seems too limited for my liking.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
activity, add, button, cd, denon, freezes, freezing, harmony, key, logitech, mx500, power, programming, remote, screen, soft, vinyl