Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Kenwood KRF-X9992D (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/958-kenwood-krf-x9992d.html)

fergusmj 10-29-2007 03:38 PM

Kenwood KRF-X9992D

Hey there,
I just joined the forum because of my re-emerging interested in Home Audio. I have a friend that is offering to sell me the following for a good price.
Kenwood Receiver; KRF-X9992D
JBL Powered subwoofer
2 towers
2 rear shelf speakers (JBL)

i have been looking and can't find hardly any information on the receiver above. Does anyone have any information on this? I can't even find one for sale anywhere to get an estimate as to how much they run to buy. I know the powered subwoofer and speakers alone are worth what he wants, but I am mainly interested in the Receiver as that is what I need to replace the most. Any help would be appreciated as to what its worth or what your opinions are on it.

Thanks in advance.

TheMoose 10-29-2007 03:47 PM

Re: Kenwood KRF-X9992D

Well this site doesn't seem thrilled with it
"The Kenwood KRF-X9992D receiver is a THX Ultra and Dolby Digital equipped home theatre product. We take a peek inside to evaluate its good and bad design and construction points. Internally, the KRF-X9992D is a terribly disappointing product. The layout is poor and there are many signs of cost-cutting. This supposedly top-of-the-line model is undoubtedly an example of sub-standard receiver design."
Go to the link & click on the components for more info.

Also I wouldn't buy a receiver for a home theater without HDMI myself.

fergusmj 10-29-2007 03:50 PM

Yep, that was one of the only websites that I found in English talking about it. I personally, am not an extreme audio person. I originally bought my setup from a pawn shop and bought my current powered sub separately. The receiver I have now is not very good at all. Not all of the channels work on it and it is very old. I can't even find the kenwood I'm looking at online anywhere or even Kenwood's website. I am hoping somebody will have experience with this. Even maybe how old it is or what the cost is on one.

Thanks,

kennyt 10-29-2007 04:06 PM

fergusmj,

First let me welcome you to the forum! You'll find lots of info and plenty of help here.

How did you find us??

I googled the receiver, the only sitings I found were british and german. Is your friend from across the pond?? This may not have been an American unit, but I could be wrong. It seems it came out in somewhere ~2000, offers 5x130 wpc amplification and does DD, DTS and even 6.1 formats, which is kind of bizarre as it only offers five channels of amplification.... It offers 2:1 component video switching, so you likely will eventually need an HDMI switcher, but they are easy to add in and available so no huge deal.

As for price, the list I found was for 1,700 British Pounds (If my memory serves me the pound was ~ worth $1.25 then) just for an idea so it might have IF it was sold in the states gone for maybe between $1000-$1500 for a ball park.

Sorry I can't be any more accurate, I just don't know.... and this is a loose approximation at best so please don't quote me on this!

FWIW If he is a friend, and the deal is really good, then it will be a starting point. Like I said, for video, you likely will want to have an HDMI switcher down the road (maybe you need one now, I don't know) but they can be added. You will NEED a center channel, but JBL has been making speakers for years so you likely can find one that matches pretty well. Outside of all the new audio formats on Blu-ray and HD DVD you would be pretty well set for DVD, you could even use either HD DVD and/or Blu-ray just by using the digital outputs/receiver inputs. FWIW this is how many of us are currently using them as this technology is in it's infancy right now....

You can always upgrade later as you see fit.

Ken

kennyt 10-29-2007 04:17 PM

Moose,

I saw that, but could really care less how it looks inside.... Open up some of your components someday if you want a scare. Of note, that site say nothing of sonics, I found one review in a British mag that was pretty happy with it in fact they rated it higher than a Denon with a model # I am totally unfamiliar with and some other receivers costing more.

I will give my best sage advice....

If you like how it sounds, and in this case, if the price is right, and you want it, buy it and enjoy. You can always upgrade.... Moose posted while I was doing some research and getting another beer (Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale BTW.... if you haven't had it, don't drink to many it's 9.6% alcohol by volume!) so I am a little behind.

It sounds to me like you are trying to get into this on the cheap, and if your friends deal is so good as you said the speakers would be worth more, then get it for now and upgrade as you go.... that is part of the hobby anyway!

fergusmj 10-29-2007 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I am probably definitely going to do so....
afterall... for $300... the sub alone is worth it. kinda like getting 4 speakers and a receiver for free:-D