Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 10-29-2007   #13

Default Re: Kenwood KRF-X9992D

Are you absolutely sure that the KRF-x9992D is the model he has? You can go to the link below and download the owner's manual. It says it is designed for the U.K and Europe only...AC 230 V only. The model number does not exist on the USA support page, just U.K and Europe.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...te_components/

Anyway, go for it. You're right in that the sub is probably worth the cost by itself.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #14

I am not 100%. He's calling me later to give me the info on the 4 speakers, sub, and receiver. I just looked today while at work and found one that looked just like it. I'll know more in about an hour or so.
fergusmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #15

Good luck! It sounds like you couldn't do wrong for $300. Even if the receiver dies in a week, you would still have speakers and a subwoofer.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #16

OK, found out the models
Receiver: Kenwood VR-3090 with display remote
Front towers: Mission 704
Sub: JBL PowerBass PB12
Rears: JBL but he couldn't get to turn it around (stuff stacked)
Center: Yamaha NS AC 140

Any ideas on any of these? good, bad, great, expensive?

Thanks for all of your help guys.
Old 10-29-2007   #17

The Mission 704 speakers are decent depending on the conditions. I personally found them to be a bit bassy with harsh highs.

The Yamaha center channel is an older version of what they currently have. Although not much has changed. It contains 2 5.5" woofers and 1 1" tweeter. You might find it hard to match the Missions with the Yamaha. The 100W/channel of the Kenwood receiver might not be enough to push the Yamaha. You probably need to tap the Yamaha out at more of its max of 160W to get clarity from it. This would require a separate power amplifier as most receivers don't provide that kindof power per channel.

The Kenwood Receiver is the US model of the previously mentioned KRF-X9992D, with the exception of the power connections and consumption. Refer to the kenwoodusa.com support website for the owner's manual with detailed specifications.

The JBL PB12 is worth the $300 for the whole set as it has some decent crossover settings and retails for $480 itself. You will probably find the response time between the Mission 704s and PB12 to be out of phase. The Mission's reponse are much slower and this may cause a boxy, hollow, phased bass sound.

All in all I think it is a good deal for $300. I would use the JBL sub and rears and then get a set of JBL LCR to round out the system. The Venue series is pretty good and should go well with the PB12.

I would pass on the receiver and get an Onkyo 605 for $399 or something there equivalent which will give you more power, expanded features, and HDMI switching and upconversion.

Just my two cents.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #18

Thanks for the info. I'm most likely going to get the setup. Afterall, like you said, the sub alone is worth the 300 that I'm paying for everything. I also have a JBL northridge series E250P 12" powered sub. I also have a set of Yamaha towers, rear (small bookshelf) and center channel. All of the regular speakers are older except for the Sub. I figure I can match everything up one way or another to sound good. Eitherway, the receiver will work great compared to my kenwood vr209 receiver.
The front speakers I currently have are Kenwood KVS407
Center: CRS158
Rear: No name on these kenwoods... probably cheap and old.

It'll be nice having two surround sounds setups:-D
Sponsored Links

Tags
140, 704, center, hdmi, kenwood, kenwoodx9992d, krf, krfx9992d, large, mission, nsac, receiver, set, small, speaker, speakers, yamaha