Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   new guy,out of the loop (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/952-new-guy-out-loop.html)

greg in okla 10-27-2007 06:13 PM

new guy,out of the loop

Hey everyone,new guy here.Since I got my current system up and running to my
(monetary) satisfaction,I kind of got out of the loop of the newest stuff available.I am using a Rotel 1055 reciever as a preamp,and a Rotel 130 watt amp for the 2 front channels,and an older Adcom 5 channel 100 watt for the other 4 channels.Sub is a Dayton Titanic 1000 watt from Parts express.My front lft and rt are a pair of restored JBL L150 towers.
I am starting to think it is upgrade time,and am wanting some opinions on the latest
reciever/processor technology.I am not sure if I want to stay with the lower high end Rotel small company,suposed better sound/quality,or go with one of the more mass market,but higher technology,that only the bigger companys like Denon,etc,has.With probobly a year + edge on the latest high tech audio and video than the smaller companys like Rotel.Or possibly split the difference with something from NAD.
I am going to stay with my front speakers,as they have recently been completly restored,and are about the nicest L150A's I have ever seen,and it would cost a bunch to get something that would sound better.Also I am going to stick with the Titanic,for the cost/thump ratio its hard to beat,I have hit 116 dB at my listening position on a few movies.If anything,I might get 1 more,and stack them.
Thats basically where I am right now,just wanting some opinions/idea's of a direction to go,as I am 4-5 years behind on the latest stuff,I could spend around $2000 or so.I know this is a huge open ended post,just maybe the highlights of things I need to look into,while I start reading every post 5 years old and newer LOL.

Thanks for any help/opinions/direction you guys can point me in while I do my own research

Greg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7823/IM000017.th.jpg

JerryDelColliano 10-27-2007 07:36 PM

Re: new guy,out of the loop

GREAT to see you on the forum!!!! How did you find us - I am always curious to know.

I would ditch those monstrosity JBL speakers. Try some Aperion tower speakers for $1000-ish and a $1,000 Onkyo receiver. If you can force it - get an HD DVD or Blu-ray player too. That will be an extra $300 or so.

greg in okla 10-28-2007 01:54 AM

Hey Jerry! thanks for the welcome,I found you guys in a kind of round about way,through Phil Swanns 'TV Predictions' email newsletter. So I take it you are not a big vintage JBL fan LOL
What dont you like about them as my front 2 channels? They have been rebuilt completely to better than new,They are really thunpers for music,and I am not noticing any problems,I like them better than the Mordaunt Short 915 series I believe they were,tweeter,2 mid ranges and a side woofer.
Monstrosity's OHH LOL, never quite heard them described that way.You would really hate my rear center speaker then

Greg(who should be in bed)

kennyt 10-28-2007 04:23 AM

Greg,

What are you looking to get out of the upgrade? Your system isn't bad, the old JBL's are still respected by some and you just redid them, so you can keep them, they won't mate as well as a fully matched set of speakers but...

Like I said, what do you want in an upgrade? The Rotel 1055 does DD, DTS, DPL.... Are you looking for HDMI switching? If so, you can add that separately. Do you just have a bug to spend money? If so, I can help! I am good at that!

greg in okla 10-28-2007 05:19 AM

I am wanting to make sure I have at least the minimum ,to upgrade to one of the high def DVD formats.I have a Sony NS75H upconverting DVD along with the Rotel 1060 DVD player.The JVC TV is 1080i native,I can notice a slight difference with the Sony player.I dont want to run into a big OOP's' like when I got my first STEREO VCR,darn ,shows my age there.Anyway,thats when I figured out no stereo TV/no stereo VCR LOL,I can run the playere straight to the TV using a HDMI to DVI adaptor.I think I an alright ,just want to make sure.I was a twicea day reader of this forum back when I got the Rotel stuff.
Also,I was looking at some of the Denon recievers,forget the model #,for about $1100 and it had all the Farougha (sp) video circuitry,do you gain very much with this type ,running video through the reciever and scaleing,upconverting etc.Would it be enough difference to dump the Rotel and go for something like that?
Are the tanklike but perfect JBL's just the wrong type of design for the newer audio HT stuff vs speakers made for HT duty.For music the JBL's sound awesome,heck ,they were $1500 a pair in 1980! I just cannot believe that I could get much better without spending a bunch.

thanks guys,just after doing a little reading I realized that there is a LOT of new Home theater toys out there!

Greg

kennyt 10-28-2007 08:14 AM

greg,

Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to have all the new audio formats that are on a few HD DVD's and Blu-rays, then you would need a new pre/pro and dump the receiver OR dump the amps and receiver and buy a new receiver. So far few if any available pre/pro's do these new audio formats (I say available as a few are out but they are currently unobtainable) and I suspect it will be a little while before many do.

If you got rid of the amps and receiver, you could roll over the $$ earned from selling them into a really nice receiver that would likely solve some issues I see with your system. You are running the old JBL's for fronts, not sure what the rest of your center and surround speakers are, but I would doubt they are matched as JBL wasn't making HT when these were made. You also have different amps powering your speakers which can lead to all kinds of imbalance, both in timber of the amps and the fact that even different amps from the same manufacturer respond to their inputs differently and can cause balance issues at varying volumes....

OK, IF you sold off all the stuff and got a really nice receiver, you would solve the balance issue with all the same amps, you also would/should get some type of room correction (likely Audyssey) that would help with the likely imbalance in the speakers making for a more consistent HT experience. Add in that you would have HDMI switching and all new new audio formats and assuming you could get another $1,500+ out of selling off the other gear, this would put you into a $3,500+ market, a nice place to shop for sure! This would easily allow you to get a nice receiver and either, or better yet both an HD DVD player and a Blu-ray player with some cash left over for cables and some discs. This not only gets you ready for the new formats, but INTO them in your budget. Add to that the fact you would still be eligible for the five free Blu-ray AND five free HD DVD discs, and you'd already be on your way with 10 high def discs to start your collection.....

You wouldn't need the top HD DVD player as your TV only does 1080i, but to be safe you might want to get one that does do 1080p for when the TV gets upgraded down the road. All Blu-ray players do 1080p so no issue there.

Some other perks of going this route is it's simpler to control for any less tech folks in the house (wife/kids) and getting rid of those amps would make room for both those new format players.....