Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 10-28-2007   #7

Default Re: new guy,out of the loop

I don't like the way they look first of all but if they are a fav of yours then by ALL MEANS - keep them.

Look into Bel Canto's integrated amp to power them.
Old 10-28-2007   #8

Ahh but jerry that won't solve his HT issue at all.

If he wants to use them for another system, then that's another issue. Seems he wants to keep them, and likely just dropped some coin to update them, so if he keeps them, I think my suggestion to sell off the old gear and buy a great receiver and both HD DVD and Blu-ray players is SOLID! With the exception of speakers and speaker balance (which the receivers Audyssey should help out with) it solves almost every problem I see in his system and gets him to the cutting edge for his budget...

While the Bel Canto amp is awesome, it's two channel and won't do him any good for HT.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #9

Hey guys,
selling all in the gear and getting a kick butt reciever seems to be the way to go.I was looking at some of the Denon models,and seems you can get all the latest stuff for a reasonable amount.On the JBL's,yes I have some $$ in them,I have heard opinions from boths end of the spectrum about them,is there something inherently flawed with them Jerry?,they can go if they have to,into the "old speaker room ,along with mt AR TSW 510's,and the old Starks,I bet no one has heard of them.Yes ,I am suffering from mixed speaker issues,center is an M&K 750
rears are AAD's cant remember the model #,tall thin mid size towers ,34 in tall or there abouts,I had the speakers before I decided to get a little more serious and ger the Rotel gear.The system as a whole sounds pretty good to me ,but needs some room correction badly.Is there currently a reciever out that stands out as way ahead of the herd in performance in my price range?

thanks
Greg
greg in okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #10

greg,

Nothing is inherently flawed with your JBL's, you do have a problem with not being able to match them as I said, and you agree. That said if you like them keep them, hell I still have two pairs of JSE's (1.0 and 1.8).

I have always liked the Denons the new 4308Ci will do multiple zones, but you will have to check the manual to see if it will work for you. I think it let's you do multiple zones but you might want to keep the stereo amp to do the extra zones in stereo as it runs out of amp channels.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #11

Talking Re: new guy,out of the loop

I think I just fel in love with the new Marantz 8002 LOL.There are just a few of the capabilities/terms I am not familiar with,The quick little review at the top of the section about sold me on it.With all the new tech coming out so fast,the niche market stuff like Rotel,NAD just cant keep up,its hard to fight the bigger companies with their almost unlimited R&D money etc.I looked at the new Rotel offerings,and their flagship pre/pro hasnt changed much,and their newest recievers big claim to fame is only adding HDMI as far as I could tell.
Seems to me,the way to go is the big reciever once again,instead of separates,unless you have crazy amounts of cash,even then,I am not sure feature for feature the separates can hang in there,there is just way too much new technology hitting all at once.
A few years of not keeping track of whats going on HT wise ,and its easy to get lost fast.
Whats your opinions on the newer Marantz offerings?Second and third zone stuff does nothing for me,but it appears about all the upper end recievers have it.

thanks
Gregk

Last edited by greg in okla; 11-02-2007 at 05:25 AM..
Old 11-02-2007   #12

Angry Re: new guy,out of the loop

I am also REALLY big into shooting sports,and if my health will allow me I would like to start competing in IDPA,or IPSIG this year,the big IF,is my health.I could move one of my Wilson Combat guns,and it would buy a pretty nice receiverJust not ready to sell any of my "children" yet,as the health issues kinda decimated my pistol collection,and I kept just my favorites.
OR sell the Hot Rod,damn,I have way too many hobbies that are expensive,for a guy who will most likely be on disability the rest of my life,and that is very depressing.
Anyway, what are the good/bad issues with the upper end Marantz equipment?I have always liked the look of thir stuff,not that looks matter a whole lot,but I just dont like ugly equipment.
LOL

thanks for all the guidance and opinions so far

Greg K
Sponsored Links

Tags
130, avr3080ci, denon, dvd, guy, ipsig, jbl, l150a, make, review, rotel, shooting, sound, system, video, wav