Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 05-29-2007   #1

Default Why Receivers are a good thing for HT

I've been doing a lot of research on receivers as of late which you'll see in the coming months of AVRev.com and have drawn a few conclusions as to why they are not only a good thing for HT (despite what purists may say) but a serious solution for those of you on the fence about what to buy; separates or a receiver.

Separates are wonderful, largely in part to the fact that they offer flexibility and a more economical upgrade path should you make changes to your system. However, that being said, separates are often ever so behind the times when it comes to receivers. Separates, save a few brands like Anthem, are often the pinnacle of a manufacturer's HT efforts and it shows. They are often very well designed, sound better than receivers, and offer connectivity options not usually found in most mass market all in one boxes.

However, due to the time it takes to engineer such marvels they often come to market somewhat out of date as today's technology changes too rapidly for some to keep up. This phenomenon is most apparent when it comes to the video capabilities of most modern pre-amp/processors. Again, I'm speaking in more general terms here and there are exceptions to the rule, but it remains a concern.

HDMI video is an ever changing frontier that nobody can truly seem to keep up with. 1.1 gave way to 1.2 and now we have 1.3 to contend with. Receivers, historically, have done a better job keeping up with the times as their hardware is usually cheaper and can be produced in larger numbers thus making more economic sense for the manufacturer as well as the consumer. The downside is that there is always something that seems to suffer.

Over the years, I've come across more and more receivers that not only compete with their separate counterparts but in some instances better them all together. While I'll argue that the weak link of any receiver is usually the sound quality, mainly the amplifier section, most good receivers come with pre-amp outs making them a wonderful and economic choice for a receiver based separate system. Toss in the fact that you can buy most top grade receivers for a fraction of what the equivalent processor will run you and you begin to see a very strong argument as to why receivers should not only be taken seriously, but may be the solution a lot of users out there have been longing for.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the subject good or bad.

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #2

Thumbs up Re: Why Receivers are a good thing for HT

Andrew, I mostly agree with you. Though, I`ve always believed in separates. Because its one component, no trade offs in quality like receivers. (Tuner, preamp, and amplifier) in one chasis. However, the reviews on Bob Carver`s Sunfire receiver have been great. Excellent power (the most I believe), great preamp, excellent switching.

Everyone seems to love all of the Denon receivers. And yes, all the switching is there, even room correction. Simplicity, sometimes is better, if it can bring you to the desired goal. Watching movies, listening to music, or both. I think this is the one area where the high end community can take advantage and possibly gain some momentum. But will they?

Receivers are very good, as long as people like Meridian, Sunfire, and Denon continue to make a quality product.
But will they?
See my young experience in Can AV sell to Generation Y?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007   #3

Default Re: Why Receivers are a good thing for HT

I agree with your statement Robinson. I'm not worried about processing as much as I am amplification. The chips as of late, can easily process any audio demands without any problems. It's really not much of a task compared to the other reasons that these chips are created for. High quality amplification has no substitute. I don't thing anyone will have any problems showing generation x,y.... why this is. They just need to keep doing what they're doing, and giving people a place to learn this. I personally think it's very important. Using a receiver as a processor and holding on to your favorite top grade amps.. has to be one of the smartest ways to keep up.
pschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, avr, calibration, good, ht, music, receivers, separates, thing, todays