Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   extending AV to 2 channel (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/856-extending-av-2-channel.html)

David in Vermont 10-05-2007 06:19 AM

extending AV to 2 channel

Hi
I am new at this so please bear with me. I am by no means an audiophile but I certainly enjoy music and video and want to make the most of it. I own a pretty decent Denon Av receiver, I believe its a model 1803. this component allows for output to a second amplifier for use in other parts of my home. I also own an old Yamaha "Natural Sound" integrated AMP and Tuner from my college days that frankly sounds great and packs a lot of punch. I'd like to extend the system so that I can have 2 additional speakers in the dining room and back deck. My question is, can I connect an older 2/4 channel stereo Integrated amp to a much newer surround sound receiver and still get quality results? How would the connections be accomplished?
Thank you

tigeraudio2007 10-05-2007 02:42 PM

Re: extending AV to 2 channel

If it is the 1803 you have then it is not capable of have a dedicated Zone 2 output. You could however fake a zone 2 by connecting your other room speakers to the Surround Back speaker terminal outputs of the Denon. There should be a button on the front panel to turn Surround Backs on and off. Through this use the Surround Backs would function as a Speaker B output. The speakers in your dining room/back deck would have to be connected these outputs. There is no need for a second receiver unless you want the source to be separate from what is playing on the Denon.

If you found som odd need, you could output stereo audio via the CDR/Tape output, VCR 1 Output, or VCR 2 output. These outputs would carry analog stereo audio, based upon its corresponding inputs to another receiver's inputs. However, RCA over long distances does lose a bit of quality. Sending the signal from the Denon to one of your other receivers can only be done analog and probably will not pack a punch.

David in Vermont 10-05-2007 04:04 PM

Thanks Tiger Audio2007,
I checked the Denon and it is an 1804 with the Zone 2 source capability. I agree it is unlikely that I would use two sources at the same time, but I would like to have a more balanced volume throughout the living areas such that it wouldn't be necessary to crank up the family room so I can hear it on the deck. I thought the second amp would permit more sets of speakers and better amplification to achieve this. I think I'll just have to experiment and hear how it turns out. Thank you for replying.

tigeraudio2007 10-05-2007 04:12 PM

The 1804 does have the ability for a dedicated zone 2. This is output via stereo analog RCA. Zone 2 can output any analog connected sources. For example, you cannot output the audio from a DVD player if you have it connected via the toslink or digital coaxial input. However, if you have the stereo analog cables connected from the player to the receiver as well that signal can be outputted via the stereo analog zone 2.

I would not run the analog stereo to another receiver if it is going to be over a long distance. Too much is lost for a receiver to amp it back up. But experiment. That is more fun than knowing exactly how to do it.

David in Vermont 10-05-2007 05:10 PM

Thanks again for your advice. I am thinking of actually placing the 2nd amp on top or close to the first, then just running the speaker wires 30 or 40 feet. Hopefully not too much signal will be lost.
Best regards,

tigeraudio2007 10-05-2007 05:20 PM

Are you connecting a power amp for your speakers to the denon receiver? Why don't you just use the Speaker B or Zone 2 Speaker outputs of your 1804 and run 30 or 40 feet of speaker wire to the other room?

Are you trying to get the added boost and warmth of your integrated power amp in the second room? Let me know how that turns out for you.