Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 10-02-2007   #7

Default Re: Newbie - need info on receivers

Hello TheMoose

Thanks a lot for your input...I am not a any sound techie myself - I guess I am looking for an overall "pretty good" and "fairly feature-rich" receiver for home use. I understand your HDMI 1.1 suggestion - that rules HK AVR745 out. What were your suggestions anyway?

Thanks again...
arbasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Check out Andrew Robinson`s review of the Yamaha RX - V861 receiver in AVREV.COM. Excellent receiver, good power and features. Also, the Onkyo TX - SR805 receiver. 3 HDMI inputs, 1.3a, good power. Both at the max of your price range, but my two choices for you to review. I would start here.
I would compare the models you recommended.
Just a stupid question I suppose....what's the hottest receiver in the average-customer home-theater market?
arbasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbasu View Post
Hello TheMoose

Thanks a lot for your input...I am not a any sound techie myself - I guess I am looking for an overall "pretty good" and "fairly feature-rich" receiver for home use. I understand your HDMI 1.1 suggestion - that rules HK AVR745 out. What were your suggestions anyway?

Thanks again...
The receivers I looked at are,
Onkyo TX-SR875-$1600
Denon AVR 3808ci-$1600
Sony STR-DA5300ES-$1700
They are a bit higher in price than what you specified but I got my Denon for $1450 & I got a price of $1400 on the Sony so if you find a place that is willing you can get a deal even though these are just released receivers.

I didn't audition the Onkyo TX-SR805 but it's $1000 & has 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs

Check out this thread for more detailed info on the Denon 3808ci which is what I finally chose.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #10

Smile Re: Newbie - need info on receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbasu View Post
I would compare the models you recommended.
Just a stupid question I suppose....what's the hottest receiver in the average-customer home-theater market?
That is really hard to answer. What is average? So many factors to consider. However, If I had to choose one receiver from what I`ve read, and talked with others about, the Onkyo TX - SR605 receiver keeps coming up as the best bargain for price, features, and performance.

But, check it out for yourself.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #11

I just purchased the Onkyo TX-SR805. I currently haver the Onkyo TX-SR674 and have been extremely pleased with it. I upgraded to the 805 because I need the 3 HDMI inputs (where the 674 has only 2) and the ability for the 805 receiver to decode TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio formats. It also has a phono preamp which could prove useful. If I didn't need the 3 HDMI inputs I would have gone with the 605. I would highly recommend these 2 receivers. I have seen the 605 for about $399 to $599 and the 805 at $999. These receivers are definitely a bang for your buck in terms of the abundance of features that you get. YOu will not be disapoointed.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #12

I have the Harman/Kardon 645, and I love it. It does just about as much and is less money than the 745. You should check it out. It can be had for around $600 ( retails for $1500.00). Incredible sound and power, and a solid build quality. Awsome surround processing, XM ready, usb, HDMI, and alot more. Do not let the rated 75X7 power rating fool you, it is just as powerful as many other higher end receivers, made by DENON, Yamaha, Onkyo and others.

Last edited by bluextatic; 10-06-2007 at 10:55 AM..
bluextatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
arbasuyu, hdmi, home, info, inputs, receiver, receivers, theater