Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-02-2007   #37

Default Re: Denon AVR3808CI

I looked a a bunch of those as well as some not listed before getting the Denon, Like they said don't sweat the THX as there are many players without it that sound as good if not better as those with it.
The 0.09% THD is negligible so don't worry about that either.

Really all of these are very similar in quality, so focus on your needs & use that to thin out the choices.
For me it was the number of HDMI inputs (4 In & 1 Out) & the ethernet connection that put the Denon over the top for me.
The ability to stream from the internet & my computer as well as the ability to get firmware updates & trouble shooting over the internet were big selling points.

Decide what you need & take a favorite DVD & CD with you to audition them & let us know what youi decided.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
So, did you ever get the current update?
No, I didn't. However, I just went to the Denon site, and downloaded the PDF regarding update instructions. It was put there on 12/21/07, and named "FirmwareUpdate-Web1128". My firmware information mostly matches what is displayed on page 1, yet my s/n is quite a bit lower than xxxxxx09001, it ends in 01996, to be exact. Seems to be a slight ambiguity in the directions; but if I use my Boolean logic knowledge of the application of "AND", I am in a quandry. I cannot perform Procedure 1, because my firmware numbers match, and I cannot perform Procedure 2, because my s/n is too low! (I previously posted my firmware information.)

Procedure 1 is destructive, yet the improvements (at least in the serial interface), I already have. I use HyperTerm a lot, and change the XM station, and the PS Base and Treble commands work just fine.

When I performed my only update, it was via the web browser, on 10/08/07. This got me to 1.28. I think it is the Procedure 1 process.

So, it is on to Procedure 2, right?
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #39

A couple of additions.
First there is a new firmware update, v1.69 can be downloaded now.

Now the cool part!
I found a way to control my Denon anywhere in my house without needing to get the Denon RF remote.
My iPod Touch can control it!
As long as it's connected to my home WiFi I have complete control over my receiver!
I saved the Denon web controller as an icon on the main page of my iPod & when I click it it goes to the web controller.

From that page I can go to all the control pages for the Denon.

Pretty cool!

Last edited by TheMoose; 03-08-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-08-2008   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pws442 View Post
No, I didn't. However, I just went to the Denon site, and downloaded the PDF regarding update instructions. It was put there on 12/21/07, and named "FirmwareUpdate-Web1128". My firmware information mostly matches what is displayed on page 1, yet my s/n is quite a bit lower than xxxxxx09001, it ends in 01996, to be exact. Seems to be a slight ambiguity in the directions; but if I use my Boolean logic knowledge of the application of "AND", I am in a quandry. I cannot perform Procedure 1, because my firmware numbers match, and I cannot perform Procedure 2, because my s/n is too low! (I previously posted my firmware information.)

Procedure 1 is destructive, yet the improvements (at least in the serial interface), I already have. I use HyperTerm a lot, and change the XM station, and the PS Base and Treble commands work just fine.

When I performed my only update, it was via the web browser, on 10/08/07. This got me to 1.28. I think it is the Procedure 1 process.

So, it is on to Procedure 2, right?
Sorry I missed this.

Just use the On Screen Display to do the update.
Press Menu, go to manual setup, option setup, firmware update & then select check for firmware update, if it finds a new update select start & it will update.
Note that Denon recommends this be done through a wired connection not WiFi.
Old 03-08-2008   #41

"Pretty cool! "

I would have to agree that is pretty cool!

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #42

Question Re: Denon AVR3808CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Sorry I missed this.

Just use the On Screen Display to do the update.
Press Menu, go to manual setup, option setup, firmware update & then select check for firmware update, if it finds a new update select start & it will update.
Note that Denon recommends this be done through a wired connection not WiFi.
Thanks, I did the update, a few different values show up for a few of the settings. BUT.

The XM info displayed on the TV is quite out-of-sync with that on the Denon display. The Denon display reflects the proper channel/song/artist information. It is with the "presets". As soon as I press one of the band letters A-G, the TV display is overlaid wth the preset menu for that band, then the number 1-8 highlights that preset, and the station starts playing, the overlay disappears from the TV, and the Denon display shows the proper information. However, the TV can be 1 to 5 seconds behind in changing the channel/song/artist. It sometimes doesn't even show up before the "screen saver" blacks out the monitor. If I hit the right button (category search), and let it time-out, the monitor will then show the proper info.

This was not there with version 1.28 (my version before 1.69). The synchronization was immediate. (It seems my HyperTerm session is still up-to-date.)

Anyone else have that problem? (I have not tried vTuner nor AM/FM to see if it is as bad.)

Last edited by pws442; 03-09-2008 at 03:26 PM..
pws442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
application, avr3808ci, blue, certification, denon, dvd, firmware, ipod, player, ray, remote, review, reviews, thx, touch