Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 11-29-2007   #31

Default Re: Denon AVR3808CI

That sounds right to me.
Save the $$$ by skipping the Oppo & get a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player instead.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #32

Cnet review of the AVR 3808ci
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #33

I purchased my current receiver about 10 years ago. It has done well but it is time to upgrade and after doing alot of research. And holding out for the right technologies to become available, this is it! The Denon AVR-3808ci is going to be the one that replaces my aging Yamaha RX-V995. All I have to do is save up for it and my HT will have one of the major upgrades it has been needing for a few years now. This receiver is assume and I can not wait to get my hands on it.

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #34

Hi
I am a newbie to the HD world. I am building my first home theater system. I have been doing some research in the last month and planning to buy in 2 months from now and I have a lot of questions.
I am trying to choose between the following reveivers: I will write what I think the cons of every one and I hope you can guide me

DENON AVR-3808CI: no THX certification.
YAMAHA RX-V3800: no THX certification, no IEEE
MARANTZ SR7002: no IEEE
ONKYO TX-NR905: no IEEE
PIONEER ELITE VSX-94TXH: THD is higher than the rest (0.09%). my least prefrence now

I hope you will be patient and excuse my ignorance. How really important is the THX certification and the IEEE port. Which brand is more reliable. I am planning to connect the reciever to Blu-ray, HD-DVD player, HD-LCD TV, PS3, DVD recorder, Ipod, Satellite radio, satellite TV receiver, Tivo, CD and Cassette deck, Bose acoustimass speakers.

Last edited by amgad; 12-01-2007 at 05:34 PM..
amgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #35

I would not put alot of stock if a receiver like Denon, Pioneer Elite and Yamaha does not have a THX logo on it. I believe that these companies use to be THX certified but it cost money to have the logo on the equipment. I would rather own Denon, Pioneer Elite or Yamaha over Onkyo. I think the Onkyo has the THX badge on it but I would rather own the Denon without the THX logo on it. THX certification is nice but I would not place it at the top of your list. There are audiophile companies that more than exceed THX specifications that do not have a THX logo on it. I use to feel everything had to have a THX logo on it but now I find it to not be necessary.

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #36

avsteve,

I'm with Moose, skip the Oppo and put that cash towards a Blu-ray or HD DVD player.

amgad,

I'm with Dave M on this, I could care less if the THX logo is there if the unit sounds good. DO NOT get hung up in specs such as THD!! The 0.09% you quote is inaudible, and specs are always a little speculative if you know what I mean. As for the IEEE (Firewire) port, if you plan to use something that will use it it will matter. Case in point, some SACD players can output the signal via firewire, if you don't have such a player, it won't matter to you so would be unnecessary.

Which is more reliable? All of these companies are pretty good, that said if you get one that goes bad, you got a bad one and I think each company is equally likely to have a failure so I don't really see this as an issue.

I have owned most of these brands, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite. All are good. Given your gear, you will need something that can handle all your sources.

I assume the Tivo/Satelite are going to be a single input to the receiver. That said, you'll need four HDMI in's (PS3, Blu-ray, HD DVD, Sat) and one out, three if you are counting you PS3 as your Blu-ray player or possibly five if not and your DVD player uses HDMI).

Since you have HD DVD and Blu-ray, you'll want all the cool new audio formats, and I think the receivers you've listed all do these so you'll be good there, now go out and find as many as you can in your area and listen to them! Pick which one has all the features you need and sounds (and often time looks)_ best to you!

Good Luck!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
application, avr3808ci, blue, certification, denon, dvd, firmware, ipod, player, ray, remote, review, reviews, thx, touch