Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   VSX 1102 K (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/5168-vsx-1102-k.html)

Big Tex 01-12-2011 06:39 PM

VSX 1102 K

Does anyone have experience with the Pioneer VSX 1120 K? My understanding is that Pioneer has seriously upgraded their standard offering (non Elite) and that this is a very solid piece. I am upgrading from an Elite VSX 47 TX that does not have HDMI. Bang for the buck with the 1120 seems obvious. Reviews sing praises of the video (Marvell) but I haven't heard much about how it SOUNDS. Street price is around $520. I am very tempted to nab one.

Koolarrow 01-25-2011 07:39 AM

Re: VSX 1102 K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Tex (Post 26621)
Does anyone have experience with the Pioneer VSX 1120 K? My understanding is that Pioneer has seriously upgraded their standard offering (non Elite) and that this is a very solid piece. I am upgrading from an Elite VSX 47 TX that does not have HDMI. Bang for the buck with the 1120 seems obvious. Reviews sing praises of the video (Marvell) but I haven't heard much about how it SOUNDS. Street price is around $520. I am very tempted to nab one.

Hello, I purchased the PIO VSX 1120-k. Love the sound. But the Marvell Qdeo chipset does not upscale video. Somehow, it does not work. So now I am skepticle about Pioneer and Marvell. So I am sending it back (I sure wish it worked) and getting the Yamaha RX A700 which does not have internet radio, but it does upscale. If someone can help me out, I will keep the Pioneer 1120-k, but the Yamaha RX A700 is being delivered today. Anyone, please help.

rbinck 01-25-2011 08:20 AM

Keep the Yahama and get a stand alone internet radio. Like one of these: Aluratek Internet Radios

Big Tex 01-27-2011 11:14 AM

Why the Yamaha over the Pioneer? It is all a matter of preference but I have never been a Yamaha fan.

It is my understanding that the 1120 DOES upconvert and that the Marvell processor does a very nice job with it. Have a look at the January edition of Home Theater magazine. They sing the praises of the Marvell processor and say that this unit is a great value. Maybe he just doesn't have it set up right?

I have looked at Onkyo and Integra - both good pieces that both have some good features. I just think the 1120 has more bang for the buck and has features that will be useful to me.

I haven't done it yet but I am about to replace my older Elite unit with the 1120. I will write a review on the installation process and the performance. I would like to see how you like the Yamaha vs. the 1120.

Big Tex 02-09-2011 08:45 PM

I think I have talked myself out of the 1120. I just got my bonus check from Q4 of last year and I did a whole lot better than I thought I did! So I am looking long and hard at the Integra 40.2. I almost opted for the 50.2 but the additional features it has don't really make a difference for me. Before I throw down my hard earned I am also going to make comparisons to the similar Onkyo which is several hundred dollars less, and a Pioneer Elite VSX33. And I am going to let whoever I buy it from do the installation and run HDMI in the attic to the TV, run the CAT5 from the router, etc. Best to let the pros do it so I know it will be done right the first time.

I would like to read opinions of which to get. Comparisons, etc.