Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 01-12-2011   #1

Question Audio/video connections

Here's my dilemma. I have a Direct TV receiver, Samsung LED tv, PS3, and Onkyo TX-NR808 AVR. I would like to know how I can hookup all in order to accomplish both of these requirements. I would like to be able to watch the TV with and without utilizing the Onkyo receiver. The wife says she does not want to hear the ceiling speakers late at night so I need to not use the receiver and external speakers; just the tv speakers then. I initially hooked up from the direct tv out to the onkyo in as well as the PS3 to Onkyo using 1.4 HDMI cables and then out to the input on tv. Worked just fine except I am always required to utilize the Onkyo. Wife says BADDDDDD option. So ----- How do I do both? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
superjpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Audio/video connections

If the TV has two HDMI inputs, you can hook the Directv receiver and the PS3 direct. Then use optical cables to connect the Directv receiver and the PS3 to the Onkyo. That would be my suggestion.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
If the TV has two HDMI inputs, you can hook the Directv receiver and the PS3 direct. Then use optical cables to connect the Directv receiver and the PS3 to the Onkyo. That would be my suggestion.
Thanks. I'll try that. Will that setup allow for the new lossless audio?
superjpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #4
Administrator

That may require the HDMI to go into the receiver so in that case you may need to get an external matrix switch. This one I have and it allows 4 inputs and two outputs:
4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch w/ Remote Controller (Rev. 3.0) about $57.00. Use one output for the TV and the other for the Onkyo.

That website has others as well, search for HDMI matrix switches.

Another less costly solution may be to run the Directv directly to the TV and use optical for the audio. Then run the Blu-ray through the Onkyo since it would only be the loss-less source anyway. That assumes the wife only wants to watch TV without the surround and not the Blu-ray.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #5

Optical does not do lossless, only HDMI. You may run into a handshaking problem. I have my Direct TV with HDMI running two TV's one through a 7.1 receiver and the other direct to a TV. I sees the TV with speakers as 2.0 and the other TV?receiver as 5.1 or whatever is being broadcast. At times to get the 5.1 you may have to unplug the direct line to the TV. A lot depends on the individual components and in what sequence you turn them on. In my set up I turn the receiver on first, waiting for it to start up, and then I turn on the TV and Sat box. Good luck. Watch the receiver and what it says it is outputing to the speakers. I have been fooled to thinking I am getting surround sound when it is only processing stereo.

Dave
davetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2011, audio, connect, connections, direct, directv, externals, hook, led, onkyo, optical, orleans, ps3, receiver, speakers, tv, video