Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 02-07-2010   #1

Question 7.1 surround not working

I have a Sony str-dg820 receiver hooked up via hdmi to my Sony bd player and also my Samsung plasma. When I put in a blu ray with 7.1, for some reason it does not show the surround speakers (lit up on the display) hooked up on the display.When the movie starts it does show 3/4-1 on the display. I did calibrate the speakers, which are polk audio, via the microphone, and all the speakers do work well, just not sure if I am missing something. Thanks
liljoe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #2
Administrator

Default Re: 7.1 surround not working

Have you checked the audio settings on the BD player?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #3

I have output set up to hdmi, the audio hdmi set to auto, bd audio settings to direct, audio att to on, audio drc to auto, and it is also set to 96khz/24 bit. pretty sure those should be good settings. Also when I try to set the volume settings for each speakers does not let me do it to the final two rear surround speakers. I moved some speakers around to make sure they were not the speakers, and they work fine wherever I mount them.
liljoe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #4
Administrator

It sounds like the settings are fine, so I don't have anything more to suggest.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #5

I can't help with Sony-specific issues, however here are some things to verify that you've already done:

Is there a Zone 2 setting that is redirecting 2 channels elsewhere?

Ensure the material you're playing is actually emitting 5.1 and 7.1 sound - a lot of material isn't 5.1 and very little is truly 7.1

Channel-indicator-lights may be not working - swap a few "known" working channels to all 7 speaker connections - prove that the wiring to all 7 speakers has no issues

If it's an integrated receiver skip thes next step and go to the end:

If it is an SSP and you have separate amps, repeat speaker verification process with amp channels - prove that each channel is working properly by taking a "known" working input and getting sound through to each of the 7 speaker/amp channels
Also prove your interconnects are working - take them out of the trouble-shooting loop by process of elimination - testing each on a known working speaker/amp channel

If you've done all this - you have verified that
the speaker wiring has no issues,
Interconnects / amp channels have no issues
by process of elimination you have proved that it either is a setting within the unit or (for integrated receiver) an amp/channel within the unit
Celt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #6
Banned

I suggest you checked the audio settings on the BD player.
ticy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
71, att, audio, back, drc, hdmi, isnt, process, rear, receiver, receivers, settings, sound, speakers, surround, working