Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-07-2009   #1

Default Matching receiver for speaker

Hi All
After a long search I finally zeroed in on some Floor Standing speakers (Canton Vento 890DC). I loved the audition and was looking forward to buying a pair when I saw this mentioned in the specifications

Nom./ Music power handling 180 / 340 watts

http://www.canton.de/en/hifi/vento/p...vento890dc.htm

Does this mean I need a really powerful AV receiver to drive these speakers and if so what model should I look for? Or should I look for AV separates? My budget is around $ 2000. If I use a AV receiver like the Cambridge Audio Azur 650R which has Power Output as below, will it cause clipping or damage my speakers

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specif...Specifications
7 x 100 watts rms per channel, 8 ohms (all 7 channels driven)
2 x 120 watts rms per channel, 8 ohms (two channels driven)

I really would appreciate your help. My requirement is 60% Music and 40% movies. I would be using the system mainly in 5.1 mode.

Thanks for your responses
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #2

Default Re: Matching receiver for speaker

Quote:
Does this mean I need a really powerful AV receiver to drive these speakers and if so what model should I look for? Or should I look for AV separates? My budget is around $ 2000. If I use a AV receiver like the Cambridge Audio Azur 650R which has Power Output as below, will it cause clipping or damage my speakers
Sensitivity = 88.5 db (1 W, 1 m)

The 890DC Ventos are not the most efficient speakers so the more power that you give them the better they will sound. I don't have a lot of experience with Cambridge so I'm not sure about their amps.

An old Arcam AVR350 would probably drive those sufficiently and it has a great preamp section for 2 channel music. Separates would probably be the best path for you down the road IMO, but a 2K budget makes that a little tough.

Parasound is coming out with a new receiver in a month or two. Its supposedly will have 140 watts in 8 ohms and 250 into 4 ohms. This looks like it could be a winner if it ever comes out as they make great amps. Halo Amps are also extremely good for the money and would drive the ventos just fine. If I were you I would be looking for 250Watts/per channel to really make those speakers come alive. I have heard them hooked up to lesser equipment and they sound like a totally different speaker.

JD
graniterocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2000, 650r, audio, av, azur, budget, cambridge, home, match, matching, post, power, receiver, speaker, speakers, theater