Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-04-2009   #1

Default Help with Receiver Hook up to all these darn things?

Thanks in advance. I have a new Sony STR-DH800 receiver that I would like to get the most out of with these components. Any suggestions on how to hook up each one?

- Sony KDF50E2000 LCD - it has 2 RCA, 2 Component, 2 HDMI Inputs and 1 optical output

- AT&T Uverse box with an HDMI, Component, and RCA outputs

- Sharp BDHP16 BluRay

- Wii with component or RCA outputs...can't remember

- PS2 with component or RCS outputs and an Optical Out

- CD player....it is old so I know it is probably just using RCA most likely and obvious hook up.

So what is the best way to hook these up to each other and use the receiver for its maximum function? I was thinking:

- AT&T to Receiver via HDMI
- Receiver to TV via HDMI (but will I have sound from AT&T at the TV if the receiver is off....passthrough?)
- Blue Ray to Receiver via HDMI
- Wii - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? How can I get sound into the receiver then...or can you?
- PS2 - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? If it goes to TV then I can use the optical out on the PS2 to get sound to receiver right?
- does using the optical out from the TV back to the receiver help with any of this?

Thanks for your help!
Matlackp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Help with Receiver Hook up to all these darn things?

Most receivers will not pass HDMI through when they are off. Your results may vary.

As far as sending SD devices through the receiver, it depends on whether the receiver will convert from composite to HDMI. Only the most expensive ones will do that.

So, if your suggested hookup will work for what you want to do, go for it. Nothing wrong with what you suggested, assuming your receiver will cooperate.

As far as the optical output on the TV, most HDTVs will only output the audio from the internal tuner.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #3

"Most receivers will not pass HDMI through when they are off. Your results may vary"................will Audio or Video pass through the reciever if Component or RCS cables are used?

"As far as the optical output on the TV, most HDTVs will only output the audio from the internal tuner." ..............so it really sounds like if I set is all up the described way......the optical out from the TV will give me nothing because I won't be using the TV as a tuner or anything......makes sense.

THANK YOU
Matlackp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlackp View Post
will Audio or Video pass through the reciever if Component or RCS cables are used?
No.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlackp View Post

So what is the best way to hook these up to each other and use the receiver for its maximum function? I was thinking:

- AT&T to Receiver via HDMI
- Receiver to TV via HDMI (but will I have sound from AT&T at the TV if the receiver is off....passthrough?)
- Blue Ray to Receiver via HDMI
- Wii - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? How can I get sound into the receiver then...or can you?
- PS2 - can you send it to receiver through components/rca or does it have to go directly to TV? If it goes to TV then I can use the optical out on the PS2 to get sound to receiver right?
- does using the optical out from the TV back to the receiver help with any of this?
AT&T->Receiver =HDMI
Blu-Ray->Receiver=HDMI
Wii->Receiver=Component Video, Analog Audio (RCA's)
PS2-> Receiver=Component Video, Optical Audio (Toslink)
CD-> Receiver= Digital output (Toslink or dig Coax)
Receiver-> TV=HDMI

AND, since Sony Style didn't mention video upconversion in the specs for your receiver...
Receiver->TV=Component

Note: you will have to change the TV input from HDMI to Component when using your PS2 or Wii. You may also have to go to the component input to view your on-screen menu from your receiver, if in fact you don't have upconverting. A macro sequence in a good universal remote control can solve this for you.

Your CD player will probably sound better through optical rather than analog because the DA converters are probably better in the Sony than your old CD player. It doesn't hurt to try them both ways and listen to decide for yourself.

Don't expect anything to work without the receiver being on. But ...why would you not want to use it?

Good luck with it, and check your menu settings carefully.
largedoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
att, audio, blurayreceiver, component, hdmi, hook, hooking, pass, plasma, receiver, receivers, reciever, sony, tv, uverse, wii