Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 08-06-2007   #1

Default New Here - Yamaha RX-V661 or RX-V861 (Bose Center)

Hello,
I am trying to put together a home entertainment system. I have acquired two sets of Bose double cubed speakers. And a bose (not powered) sub woofer. I will be looking for information on a center channel, so if you have any input on bose or other centers please post comments. I am not looking for the very high end, as I cannot afford that kind of system. It will be used for movies and music.
My main question is comments about a Yamaha RX-V661 7.1 channel Receiver (this is the one that my pocket says to buy) - or Yamaha RX-V861 7.1 channel Receiver - I will only be making a 5.1 system. Is there any real advantage for me to spend more on the V861? Or any other receivers that you all that know more might recommend? I can get the V661 for about $380.00 tax included – That’s not a bad price. What do you think? Please keep your information simple as I am not very tech savy!!!
Bobky
bobky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #2

Default Re: New Here - Yamaha RX-V661 or RX-V861 (Bose Center)

I wonder why the moderator of this sight or you all that seem to know so much has not tried to help us little people. Is you wisdom too wise for us?
I'm sure that there is some input out there somewhere!!!
Bobky
bobky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #3

Default Re: New Here - Yamaha RX-V661 or RX-V861 (Bose Center)

given your speaker selection and budget the V661 isn't a bad way to go. the added channels (power amp wise) may come in handy (at least placement wise) when powering your sub if you don't want to run your mains through the sub's binding posts.

Are you HDMI ready or do you still have component video? That's really where the V861 is going to come in handy, since it has a more robust set of features in terms of HDMI, mainly upconversion from all analog video sources to digital. Where as the V661 can only switch between HDMI sources.

If HDMI is not a concern then save your money and get the V661. I can't imagine you'll be dissapointed. The differences in power output won't make that big of a difference in sound quality with Bose speakers. BTW, Bose makes a center channel that I believe is rather inexpensive or you could just get another double cube array and have unified L/C/R speakers which is always better.

That's my two cents. Sorry it seemed to take so long.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
analog, audio, bose, center, channel, cube, dead, double, hdmi, problem, receiver, rxv861, speakers, v861, video, yamaha