Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 10-26-2009   #1

Default Sony STR-DH800 HD audio question

I have a Sony STR-DH800 on the way and I was wondering if I would be able to get HD audio with this setup:

I have a PS3 slim that I use for Blu Ray, but my problem is that my HDTV is pretty old and doesn't have an HDMI port. Would it be possible to run the audio from the PS3 to the receiver with HDMI, have the receiver decode the TrueHD/DTS-HD audio, and then somehow run the video through component to my TV since there is no HDMI? I know the receiver has a component output but I didn't know if playing HD audio from HDMI and switching the video to the component output was possible.

Thanks in advance.
ttommytizzats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #2

Default Re: Sony STR-DH800 HD audio question

Not possible as you can't downgrade a digital signal to an analog signal without some very expensive equipment and even then it is less than ideal. Good luck with that Sony receiver, let us know how it works out.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #3

Blah, that sucks. I'm hoping that the PS3 outputs are setup independently so I can run audio through HDMI and video from component directly from the unit. We'll see. Thanks for the response.
ttommytizzats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #4

You can hook your PS3 to your receiver using a digital audio cable. You can even setup the PS3 to output multiple signals (up to 5.1 to the receiver and 2.0 to the TV).
Good luck
rghelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, cable, component, dh800, forum, hd, hdmi, playstation, ps3, set, sony, str, strdh800, supported, video